turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Ultimag choke and shell combo

Started by Tracker, January 18, 2013, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracker

Hey guys, I have an older Mossberg 835 Ultimag (at least 15 years +)have had this style referred as the "corn cob pump" due to the shape of the forehand.  That said, I have been shooting this gun with an Undertaker choke and both Federal HV and the Federal Flight Cup shells , both in 3.5 " 6 shot.  The gun has performed well, and I have killed several good birds with this setup.  In talking to some friends at the range the other day they recommended that I could improve the guns performance by moving to an Indian Creek choke with Hevi-Shot 2oz. 6 shot .

That said, can you folks who are shooting an older 835 please provide some insight into what choke and shell combo is/has worked well for you .

Thanks for your time.

Tom Foolery

I shoot a .676" Stardot and Hevi-13 #7's, mine is reliably 275-300 pellets in a 10" cicle at 40yds.

SumToy

Quote from: Tom Foolery on January 18, 2013, 11:29:53 PM
I shoot a .676" Stardot and Hevi-13 #7's, mine is reliably 275-300 pellets in a 10" cicle at 40yds.

Sumtoy 675, PG 670, and IC with the HV 7 should put you in that range also.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TrackeySauresRex

:welcomeOG:
This is what has worked for me.

I'm not a big numbers guy, I did my research right here on O.G. for a great killing pattern.  ;D
Ol'Mossy 835-cleaned 24" barrell. 1st cammo edition.(corn cobb)

3-½ 2oz Lead-Win,Hv#5s or 6's.  Win. XX 6's 2-¼oz (red shell) does real well w/kicks 680 no numbers. Just good even,killing patterns.
3-½ 2oz Lead-Old fed 5's 160 @ 40 w/kicks 680
3-½ 2-¼oz M.B. 5,6,&7s 220's low 230's @40 w/jelly head 690
I haven't shot 7's.. there numbers are awesome here on O.G

This spring I may try the truglo ssx choke. Great reviews here on O.G. It seems to be a little better from what I'm reading.
:anim_25: And post them pictures. 
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

chatterbox

Hey Tracker,

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a SumToy .675. My load of choice is the Winchester XRHD 3.5-2-6. I get right around 150 for an avg. in the 10" circle at 40. Not huge numbers, mind you, but my pattern is even and consistant.
Furthermore, those Winchesters pack a wallop!

Thomas6689

I shoot a sumtoy 675. with hevi magnum blend in my 835 and im getting on average between 160 and 170 pellets in a 10'' circle at 40 yards, and the pattern couldnt be more even

tactikel

My 835 after a barrel polishing, patterns best with a Pure Gold 670 and Hevishot Magblends, it throws a killing pattern well past what I would label an ethical shot.

Skeeterbait

24" barrel, Indian Creek Black Diamond .675 with wad catchers, Winchester XRHD 3.5-2-6, 225 in 10" at 40 yards.

WildSpur

Jellyhead and H13 #6 and winchester extended #6 (both 3.5") put 190+ for my buddies older 24" unpolished 835.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

jblackburn

I have the old Viking Grade (Ugly green stock) and I put a 24" barrel on it with a mossberg extended extra full.  I shoot 3.5 inch Winchester Supreme XX (Red shell) number 6's.  I have thought about changing up, but I put 150+ in a 10 inch circle at 40, so I'm happy for now.

If I win the PureGold bingo, well, then it's on!  :)
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

reflexl

My 835 is great with a Stardot .676 and W-W 3.5" 2oz #5. Super consistent patterns. Loast count of dead birds with this one. reflexl

ILIKEHEVI-13

Whatever you do don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy a old Star Dot original version choke unless you will be happy with this type of pattern shooting a good lot# of Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's.  If there is a better or more consistent shooting choke than the Star Dot shooting these shells, I myself haven't found it or seen it.