turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mouth/diaphragm calls-need opinions

Started by kevin2, January 16, 2013, 12:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I've got a couple mouth calls I bought from a custom maker a few years back a 2 reed & a 3 reed NO cuts. I'm not sure if they are good or not. I learned on them, took me forever AND I can finally make a few nice sounds with them.  I'm just thinking it would be nice to see how another mouth call would sound in comparison.

I was watching outdoor tv tonight & Drury outdoor boys had that Turkey competition showing. They advertized some mouth calls by Billy Vargus. Not sure they are worth trying or not.

Either way, I'd love to hear some opinions on some mouth calls that might be worth giving a go.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

TauntoHawk

I will recommend you try a few from Hooks, not because they are my favorite but out of all the calls I own I think they could be the easiest to blow. When you're just starting out I think its important to use an easy to blow call so you can focus on the sounds your making and not just trying to make a sound.

Annnd because they are my favorite
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GSLAM95

Very rarely will two people sound the same on any one given brand/model of any diaphragm mouth call.  There are many good mouth calls on the market.  My best suggestion is to try out as many different brands and models as you can afford.
With that being said you will find that some sound great when they are new out of the package, some take time to break in.  A lot of times you can buy 3 of the same model and brand and all three sound a little different.  The side to side and back tension is very difficult to get exactly the same, you still have to consider the consistency of materials they use as well.
I fall back on "try as many different brands and models as you can afford" until you find what you like.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

LBA

XT calls are good.They have thin tape on some calls now too.it doesn't fall off like others are having problems with

DUPREE

Quote from: LBA on January 16, 2013, 11:26:01 AM
XT calls are good.They have thin tape on some calls now too.it doesn't fall off like others are having problems with

X2 on the XT calls. I've been running them for years. Www.xtcalls.net.

Tom Dooley

My 14 year old tried tried calls from Hooks, HS, Primos and Knight & Hale. There was only on call he sounds good on. The Knight & Hale Warlock.

Gamblinman

The size and shape of the tape can make a tremendous difference. I only blew Woodhavens for years till I had Scott make me some Hooks calls with the larger tape. Viola!!

Now I'm...well..."hooked"

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

savduck

Quote from: GSLAM95 on January 16, 2013, 10:17:04 AM
Very rarely will two people sound the same on any one given brand/model of any diaphragm mouth call.  There are many good mouth calls on the market.  My best suggestion is to try out as many different brands and models as you can afford.
With that being said you will find that some sound great when they are new out of the package, some take time to break in.  A lot of times you can buy 3 of the same model and brand and all three sound a little different.  The side to side and back tension is very difficult to get exactly the same, you still have to consider the consistency of materials they use as well.
I fall back on "try as many different brands and models as you can afford" until you find what you like.

This, as stated above, butwith that said, my company of choice is Houndstooth Game Calls
Georgia Boy

WildSpur

I really like the TOP diaphragms.  The are out of renova, pa.  The one with the dark green tape has called in a lot of birds for me.  The yellow taped call has called in a lot of birds for a buddy if mine.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

jblackburn

There are a lot of really good diaphragms out there, it boils down to trying several and finding out which ones work for you.

That being said, I will plug Gooserbat Game Calls out of eastern Oklahoma.  Sam builds calls that are very easy to blow and create great sounds.  A couple that I would recommend are the Classic Hen, Public Land Special, Bacon (my favorite), and Hillbilly.

www.gooserbatcalls.com
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

packmule

X2 for Houndstooth.

Last time I checked Lyle still was advertising a free call promotion on his website.  I purchased 2 from him last year + the free call and those 3 mouth calls are all EXCELLENT.

Muzzy61

I tried a couple of different ones from Hook's last year, I was very impressed.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

BigMick

While there have been several good call makers already mentioned, I think you would be doing yourself injustice if you didn't at least try some of Woodhavens.  Woodhaven makes some incredible calls.

Just my .02