turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Conceal Carry Handgun

Started by TnTurk, January 13, 2013, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

Hey guys, I'm looking for either a 9mm or .40sw small conceal carry handgun that wont put a big dent in my bank account, especially after Christmas. I'm hoping to stay under $400. So, if y'all have any suggestions on a brand and model, I would greatly appreciate the input.
Thanks and God Bless, Steve

TNTOM

I carry a Glock 27 and I'm very happy with it.  Ordinarily you should be able to pick up one for around $400.  I recommend getting up mag extension for the range.

captpete

I've been looking for the last couple of months and ended up getting a S&W M&P 9c. Actually just bought it yesterday and paid $480 + tax for it. I looked at the XD sub-compacts also. The shop had one for $425+ tax. I didn't care for the safety in the grip. My buddy's brother has a full size XDM and I shot it a few times. I found that I had to have the prefect grip on the gun to get the safety to engage. I didn't like the idea of being a situation of needing the gun, pulling from the holster and needing to take the time to adjust my grip to get the gun to  fire. That's why I went the M&P.
Ok, with all that said the other gun I researched was (I'll probably catch crap for this) was the Hi-Point 9c. Almost all the reviews I found on this gun were the same...." great, reliable gun for the money", "not the highest quality, but goes bang every time you pull the trigger", "life time warranty & made in the USA". Most of the bad reviews came from people that appeared to be the kind of people that if "it doesn't cost $1000, it's junk" type of people.
The things most people didn't like were the fact it was ugly, a little heavy and difficult to take apart. The things they like the best were reliable/dependable, life time warranty and the cost...$200 or less.
The reason I didn't buy one was I couldn't find one with-in 100 miles of me to look at.
Check them out:  http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/
Hi-Point forums:  http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/

longspur

I bought a px4 compact in 40 and like it. Its really too big for conceal carry but the sub-compact don't have the rotating barrel. I like a single-double action because I can pull the hammer back and take my time at the range but just pull the trigger if need be.

Spring_Woods

I just bought a S&W mp 40. It came with 3 grips and 2 mags. It's perfect for concealment. The gun shop had $75 off of handguns $500 or more so I walked otd paying $473.

I plan on picking up the Blackhawk Serpa holster as per a recommendation from a friend.

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

gjr902

I have the S&W Sigma 40cal, and the M&P 40. I prefer the Sigma and its about $350. I did do a trigger job on the Sigma myself, to get a smoother trigger. ($15 for a new spring and polishing the trigger parts) Both are excellent choices.

I'm in the process of buying a Bersa Thunder 380 auto $325. (comes in 9mil too) This will be my every day carry. Smaller than the S&W's, yet not too small. The Glock 27 is a great CC gun. I'm just not a Glock guy.

Enjoy your purchase

trackerbucky

I have a Ruger SR9C and I really like it.  With a crossbreed holster I don't even notice it, and I find it as easy to shoot well as my full size XD in 45.  It also comes in 40 S&W as the SR40C
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

outdoors

I carry Glock model 36 , if you are wanting too Cary go for a 40 cal you want too stop'm
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Tail Feathers

I'm a Glock guy.  But a new one is out of your stated price range.

You really have to narrow them down by features you want and then go the gun store and handle them to see what feels best for you.  Give the Ruger a look, as well as the Khar.  I suggest 9mm.  Cheaper ammo to practice with, comes in good size frame for concealment and enough ooomph to defend yourself.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

headbanger

I just picked up a Kahr CW9 for the purpose of concealed carry. Great reviews, handles well, breaks down and cleans easily. I have ran about 250 rounds thru it without a single problem. No stovepipes, FTF, FTE, nothing. All with various rounds of differing loads. Great little handgun for walkout price of $385. Give one a look and you'll be pleasantly surprised!

lightsoutcalls

I just bought a Ruger LC9.  The only one left at the gunshop near me had a carbon fiber film (similar to the camo film on turkey guns) on the polymer part of the gun.  It holds 7 rounds in the magazine and fits easily into a pants pocket.  I'm planning on picking up the Recluse front pocket holster for it.  This holster was recommended in the Gunblast review on the gun. 
Although this gun does have an external safety, it has a long trigger pull.  The Recluse holster has a patented trigger guard that makes it next to impossible to have an accidental discharge while carrying.

I paid $369 for my LC9 plus tax.

The other option  I looked at was a Bersa BP 9 CC.  I liked the feel in my hand better than the Ruger, but it was also a bit larger.  I wanted something that would conceal easily in a pocket.  If I were going with a waistband holster, I might have opted for the Bersa.  It was around $349.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Turkey Beard

Quote from: TNTOM on January 13, 2013, 01:23:46 AM
I carry a Glock 27 and I'm very happy with it.  Ordinarily you should be able to pick up one for around $400.  I recommend getting up mag extension for the range.

X2. I also just added a LaserMax guiderod sight to it. Too busy/cold to shoot it yet but I can't wait to see how it works. Supposed to be within 3" at 20 yards for the 27 and within 2" at 20 yards for the compact & standard Glocks.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Eric Gregg

Solid Snake

I'm in the same boat you are. I want a nice little CC gun that won't cost me over $400. I'm looking real hard at the Beretta Nano. Seems to be a nice little piece.

Muzzy61

Quote from: trackerbucky on January 13, 2013, 07:28:54 PM
I have a Ruger SR9C and I really like it.  With a crossbreed holster I don't even notice it, and I find it as easy to shoot well as my full size XD in 45.  It also comes in 40 S&W as the SR40C

I too have a SR9C and it conceal carrys very well.
It's fun to shoot and very dependable. Mine came with a 9 and 15 round magazine.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr