turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When is enough. . .enough?

Started by lohaus, January 11, 2013, 11:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lohaus

I was looking at my first spring catalog I got in the mail from Bass Pro Shops.  Man, they had a full strut decoy that you operated remote control.  Then they had a push button turkey call.  What is next?  I swear I have a buddy that hauls 3 blinds out, 4 to 5 chairs, more then a dozen decoys, dressed in ninja masks, and records every kill.  They wait watching movies on a lap top, play games on their phones, and hang out for hours.

To each their own.  That is just not my style.  So what do you think will be next in 'equipment'?

Spring_Woods

I wonder sometimes about the stuff you mentioned and I take a step back and think- am I getting old or this the modern day way of the way we did it? Who knows? But it's something to ponder on.  ???

Me personally I carry in the field a shotgun with a shoulder carry strap, mask around my neck, and a fanny pack with about 3-4 friction calls. Otoh, I know adults who pack in all that crap you mentioned and I just think; why?

Then I think about the origins of turkey hunting and the native Americans and how they must have did it. I'd have to say the differences would be remarkable, IMO. 

Camo, shotguns, turkey chokes, the modernization of the calls. Only conclusion I can accurately draw about the origins of turkey hunting is- they fully understood the biology of the wild turkey so much better then, because it meant the difference between eating well or starving.

To better answer your question of what's next- it's anyone's guess. Im just gonna keep on doing it the only way I know how...as long as turkeys don't change.  :icon_thumright:
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

jakesdad

Im not even that old(41) but I still shake my head and chuckle when I see some of the stuff they come up with.I am in no way against anybody using what they feel they have too,as long as it legal and ethical,to succeed in the woods.Its your game play it your way.But I prefer to throw on my vest with maybe 6-8 calls of different types and maybe a few other "trinkets"(water bottle,thermacell,etc)and head out.Heck i've had local "pros"(aka 20 something kids with all the "pro staff" stuff) telling me I cant kill birds with my setup(870 20 ga with LEAD)because its not the latest and greatest in this years catalog.Cracks me up to see some of these guys packin more "luggage" into the timber than most people take on vacation!Whatever they come up with i'm sure there will be people to buy it.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

redarrow

Nothing really amazes me anymore.Once in awhile something comes along that really works. Otherwise its like the Budweiser beer can fishing lure. Its only purpose was to catch the fisherman not the fish. I laughed at my Pastor when he pulled out a "Butt Out" tool while deer hunting.Well I ain't laughing no more. It actually works and simplifies thing when gutting a deer.When season opens Deer/Turkey I usually carry everything but the proverbial kitchen sink. After a week or so I just cram a few things in my pockets and leave the  packs and vest in the truck.

Gooserbat

6 or 7 shells, pocket knife, 2 or 3 diaphragms, face net, gloves, walet, and my 870.  I try to leave the noise, distractions, and worries behind. 

Oh the beauty of Run n Gun!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

redarrow

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 12, 2013, 10:11:03 AM
6 or 7 shells, pocket knife, 2 or 3 diaphragms, face net, gloves, walet, and my 870.  I try to leave the noise, distractions, and worries behind. 

Pretty much the same for me after a few days except I use pots and strikers .Maybe 3 of each.

Gooserbat

Quote from: redarrow on January 12, 2013, 10:16:01 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on January 12, 2013, 10:11:03 AM

Pretty much the same for me after a few days except I use pots and strikers .Maybe 3 of each.

Yeah I forgot I carry a slate, and a couple or three strikers, and my owl hooter.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

30_06

I have just been getting tired of carrying stuff lately, nothing to do with not liking new products, but mostly I wear a vest for the seat, and carry a slate, a box call, a compass, and a gps.

Hognutz

How about a decoy that resembles a wounded tom?  :gobble:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

The only Tom I want to see is one with crosshairs on his waddles.

longspur

I usually wind up walking for miles so I pack as light as possible, and if I kill one I don't want to have to make two trips to lug everything out.

Skeeterbait

When you start turkey hunting, you add things to your vest each year.  After several years, you start swaping out things in your vest each year.  After many years, you start taking things out of your vest each year.

Kylongspur88

I think a lot of this crap is geared towards folks who maybe don't know any better or just aren't that experienced. I had to pack to the minimum when I first started because I learned to turkey hunt in Eastern Kentucky, and if you don't pack light those hills will break you. As I've matured and killed more birds I have learned that all I really need is a call, my 870, a willing tom, and some patience. 

Byhalia

Quote from: Skeeterbait on January 12, 2013, 01:34:51 PM
When you start turkey hunting, you add things to your vest each year.  After several years, you start swaping out things in your vest each year.  After may years, you start taking things out of your vest each year.

Do I here an AMEN !!!!!     :z-winnersmiley:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Eric Gregg

For me, I try to go as lite as possible. I carry mouth calls (typically 3), 1 box, and 1 slate with two strikers, a couple of extra shells and my 870.
I, personally, have taken to hunting without decoys because I want to focus more on bettering my calling and like that I don't have the extra stuff in my vest.
I believe that a lot of the stuff that is out there is only a marketing strategy to play on us hunters fascination with gadgets and hoping to get something that may "up the odds" in our favor.
I go out to the woods to find quiet, not to check e-mails, facebook, and tweet my every move like anyone else is interested.

I am young (33) but I keep it to a minimum. I am out there to enjoy a break from the every day business, and the less I have to carry the better I feel.