Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Little something about you ...

Started by davisd9, January 09, 2013, 01:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Hey guys.  I have seen a few other teams doing introductions and have enjoyed reading them.  I know the majority of us have hunted together for a year, but a lot of things change as time goes by.  Why don't we tell a little about ourselves?  Tell as much as you want or as little, just is nice to had some personification to a internet screen name.  I will start:

My name is Donald Davis and I am 26 years old, turn 27 in February.  I was born and raised in the midlands of SC and now live in the Upstate.  I am the youngest of 3 children and only boy.  I work at a University in SC doing maintenance on a dorm.  I love my job.  My wife, April (many find it funny that my wife is named after the month of our turkey season once they find out how hardcore I am, I promise it was not intentional  ;D), and I have been married for 2.5 yrs, but we were high school sweethearts.  We recently, August 2012, bought our first house and love it, especially the back part of the den, I will have to post some pictures of it. 

My hobbies are hunting, fishing, video games, and messing with turkey calls.  I did not grow up a turkey hunter but fell in love with it the first year I tried it, but pretty much hunt anything.  I am overall a pretty simple country plowboy.  My favorite teams are all the University of South Carolina, no matter the sport.  I love college football but really do not pay any attention to the NFL, just not exciting to me.  I try to be respectful of everyone and a hardwork all the time.  I try to follow what the good Lord tells me and treat people the way he expects me too.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeykiller12

I think this is a good idea. I'll play along. My name is Michael Ballew, I'm 28 and I'll be turning 29 later on in february. Getting old thats for sure.  ;D I was raised up in this same town that I still live in today good ol' Tallapoosa, Ga the home of the world famous New years eve " Possum Drop". I work for a local water authority where I am a Class 1 water treatment operator. I enjoy my job very much I started working for the water authority when I was 21 years old and I have really enjoyed every day of it. That old saying that says "find a job you enjoy and you'll never work another day in your life", I agree with that 100%. I am married and have two little boys 5 year old and 1 1/2 years old. My oldest son is pretty much a mirror image of me when I was his age and my youngest is going to be just like his momma. lol. I've been a Alabama Fan most of my life, and I really like Nascar. I participate in a fantasy nascar league and thats really enjoyable. I usually participate in couple fantasy NCAA football contest as well every year. I like mostly older country music and a little bit of the new stuff is pretty good too. I am a member of the masonic lodge here in Tallapoosa, I haven't been able to attend much lately. We don't attend church very regularly because of our weekend work schedules it makes it nearly impossible to do much on the weekends. That pretty much sums me, Im pretty much just a plain ol' fellar that works a lot and hunts when I can. I bet most of the guys here are the same way.

davisd9

Love me some Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and the clean David Alan Coe.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

My name is Russell and I'll be 38 in May. Been married for almost 12 years (same girl) and we have 2 children, my daughter is 6 and my son 9. I work for a oil and fuel distributor in Venice, LA and have been with this company since I was in the 10th grade.

When not working, I can be found at the camp or fishing. I use to fish a lot and plan on hammering them after turkey season. My favorite fish to go after are the great and honorable Speckled Trout, but will occasionally go slumming for redfish and bass. My son prefers the offshore stuff, but I can only handle that in small doses. I've owned way more boats than cars on my life and will have a boat as long as I can.

As far as music goes I listen to some old country, some new and older heavy metal. I'm a big Chris LeDoux fan. I also listen to a lot of Metallica, Guns and Roses, Steve Earle and The Highwaymen. Will listen to just about anything, but rap, jazz, or R&B.

I enjoy SEC football and Baseball, but hate the wood bats now. Always watched college for the batting and the pros for the pitching. My favorite teams are the Rangers followed by the Braves. Football I pull for the Saints and LSU, but will watch anybody as long as its good.

C J Stahly

My name is Chris Stahly.  I turned 29 at the end of October, which is the last birthday I am going to have.  From here on out I am having anniversaries of my 29th birthday.  I have been married since 8 Jul 06 and have been with my wife since we met at college on Friday 13 Sep 2002.  We have two children Alexus Grayce (3.5) and Christian Joseph (9 months). 
I grew up on a farm outside a small town in the middle of Indiana, where the population sign says 1100 +/- and I think they counted all the livestock within the town limits.  I was transplanted to SC in March of 2009 (thanks to uncle sam).  I joined the USAF in Sep 2008 (joined late) and since have seen both theatres of the GWOT. 
Growing up I hunted deer, squirrels, and rabbits and because we never had a turkey population relatively close to where I lived it was a pipe dream.  However, a few years ago I decided to give her a whirl.  Right at light I had a couple hammering away and I was hooked.  I then met up with a fell names Donald Davis, who is now hopefully a life long friend, who helped me get my first bird. 
I will be getting home right at the start of the season this year and hopefully get to tear them up with Donald and Matt Albers!

davisd9

Quote from: C J Stahly on January 10, 2013, 01:35:51 PM
My name is Chris Stahly.  I turned 29 at the end of October, which is the last birthday I am going to have.  From here on out I am having anniversaries of my 29th birthday.  I have been married since 8 Jul 06 and have been with my wife since we met at college on Friday 13 Sep 2002.  We have two children Alexus Grayce (3.5) and Christian Joseph (9 months). 
I grew up on a farm outside a small town in the middle of Indiana, where the population sign says 1100 +/- and I think they counted all the livestock within the town limits.  I was transplanted to SC in March of 2009 (thanks to uncle sam).  I joined the USAF in Sep 2008 (joined late) and since have seen both theatres of the GWOT. 
Growing up I hunted deer, squirrels, and rabbits and because we never had a turkey population relatively close to where I lived it was a pipe dream.  However, a few years ago I decided to give her a whirl.  Right at light I had a couple hammering away and I was hooked.  I then met up with a fell names Donald Davis, who is now hopefully a life long friend, who helped me get my first bird. 
I will be getting home right at the start of the season this year and hopefully get to tear them up with Donald and Matt Albers!

Brother you are stuck with me until they throw the last scoop of dirt on me, haha.  This year is going to be good.  Been hearing reports of more mature gobblers being seen so far than years past, what that mean, great recruitment the last few years.  We might not kill them but we are sure going to give them a run for their dear lives!  We will kill them, do not know what I was thinking before other than the Spring Fever is getting the best of me!  ;D

turkeykiller22

Im game to play.

My name is Drew Able I am 21 years old go to Mississippi State University. It feels nice to be spur collector again, I was on the original team 2 years ago and now im BACK!! Anyways I am studying forestry and wildlife management at State. Upon getting out I would like to work for a company for a few years and then branch out on my own to have my own TV show kind of like the management advantage...

I started a turkey call company 2 years ago so I have been runnning that and decided about 2 months ago to get a booth at NWTF in nashville! I would love to meet you if you come to the convention! The name of my company is Foot on DA Head calls. Be sure to head on over to my facebook page and give it a "Like" if your on FB!

I have turkey hunted for as long as I can remember, killed my first one at the age of 7 and havent looked back! Right now im just a few shy of 40! The Lord has really blessed me with some great friends and great places to hunt!

Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

davisd9

Just liked you on FB! Glad to have you back on the team! Sorry we had the bad timing / miscommunication last year and you were not on the team, we truly missed your camaraderie!

turkeykiller22

It is all good my friend! Hope we are able to win it all this year!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

davisd9

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on January 10, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
then branch out on my own to have my own TV show kind of like the management advantage...

If you have hunting on your show and ever need another gun then I am just a holler away.   ;D

Turkeykiller12

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on January 10, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
Im game to play.

My name is Drew Able I am 21 years old go to Mississippi State University. It feels nice to be spur collector again, I was on the original team 2 years ago and now im BACK!! Anyways I am studying forestry and wildlife management at State. Upon getting out I would like to work for a company for a few years and then branch out on my own to have my own TV show kind of like the management advantage...

I started a turkey call company 2 years ago so I have been runnning that and decided about 2 months ago to get a booth at NWTF in nashville! I would love to meet you if you come to the convention! The name of my company is Foot on DA Head calls. Be sure to head on over to my facebook page and give it a "Like" if your on FB!

I have turkey hunted for as long as I can remember, killed my first one at the age of 7 and havent looked back! Right now im just a few shy of 40! The Lord has really blessed me with some great friends and great places to hunt!

Drew

Just liked your page on FB!

trkehunr93

I'm Jim Basham, 38 yrs. old, married to my wife, Wendi, for 3yrs. this coming March.  We have 2 children, Jayden, 10 and Jamison, 11 months.  I am a life long resident of Virginia, live in Roanoke.  Work for one of our local parks and recreation departments as a program supervisor in one of our larger recreation centers.  I did not grow up hunting and didn't start until I was 18 yrs. old, killed my first deer when I was 19 and I haven't looked back since.  Started turkey hunting about the same time and after a lot of close calls killed my first bird in the fall of 1995.  Fell in love with it after that, I have been fortunate to travel to a couple of diferent states to hunt and was able to cross TX of my list when I killed a couple of Rio's in 2010.  This was by the way part of our honeymoon so I consider myself very blessed that my wife puts up with my addiction and enjoys tagging along.  Recently got a chocolate lab that I am trying to train to be a turkey dog for fall hunting, requires alot of patience as he has alot of energy.  If I'm not hunting, I'm watching hockey or college basketball.  Been at it with these birds for the last 20 yrs. and hope that the Lord blesses me with many more seasons ahead. 

JVA54

I'm John Aud, I was 29 once.....about 29 yrs. ago, you guy's are making me feel old. I have five kids from 23 to 16 yrs. two girls and three boys, I have a son and daughter from my first marriage and two stepsons and stepdaughter with my wife Vicki. If you need advice on teenagers with attitudes just pm me. I use to be nuts about bow hunting now I have more fun taking my boys hunting and watching them have fun. Now I love turkey hunting I guess I'm addict.  I play golf and watch football for fun, have two grand daughter's that kept me busy. Born and lived in Illinois most of my life.

boomer

Well my is Dan, I'm 38yrs old lived in Nebraska for all of them but 4yrs while I was in the Marines. That's where I got the desire to hunt turkeys being stationed in Beaufort SC. The barber I went too was a big turkey hunter and after listening to his stories. I knew I wanted to try it someday. Saw allot of them down there bass fishing but never got a chance to hunt them.
Now I work for a company making hydraulic pumps. When I'm not not working I'm either bass fishing, waterfowl and turkey hunting. Or working with my new chocolate lab. But I have found my newest thing that I love to bowhunt hogs. Going back to Oklahoma next month. Wished we had them here or lived closer to them.

davisd9

Quote from: boomer on January 14, 2013, 07:23:15 PM
Well my is Dan, I'm 38yrs old lived in Nebraska for all of them but 4yrs while I was in the Marines. That's where I got the desire to hunt turkeys being stationed in Beaufort SC. The barber I went too was a big turkey hunter and after listening to his stories. I knew I wanted to try it someday. Saw allot of them down there bass fishing but never got a chance to hunt them.
Now I work for a company making hydraulic pumps. When I'm not not working I'm either bass fishing, waterfowl and turkey hunting. Or working with my new chocolate lab. But I have found my newest thing that I love to bowhunt hogs. Going back to Oklahoma next month. Wished we had them here or lived closer to them.

Need to come back to SC to hunt some hogs.  Trust me you do not want the nasty things.  I dislike them about as much as a coyote.  We have them every where!  Talk to Chris about them, CJ Stahly, he likes to hunt them as well.

Thanks for your service my friend!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an