turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey chokes..

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, January 07, 2013, 10:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

Wondering if anyone shoots a mossburg tactical turkey with winchester xtended range #6's??? If so what choke do u get your best pattern with.  I have a xxx compnchoke and a primos jellyhead, but this will be the first year i shoot the xtended range shells.

gobblingghost

Is that the Winchester shell that is like hevi shot

lightsoutcalls

I use a Jellyhead on my 870 for a couple of years with good results, but was shooting nitros.  I switched to an Indian Creek choke and have started shooting Hevi Shot #5s with scary good results. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Fatbeard

I shoot a Indian Creek choke in mine with Xtended Range #4 and 5 and get devastating results! I've went thru many chokes and all the hevishot out there and it's a punisher! I also shoot it in my Browning
East TN Beard Buster

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Vaturkeyhntr on January 07, 2013, 10:58:51 PM
Wondering if anyone shoots a mossburg tactical turkey with winchester xtended range #6's??? If so what choke do u get your best pattern with.  I have a xxx compnchoke and a primos jellyhead, but this will be the first year i shoot the xtended range shells.

I don't know which model of the MTT you're shooting but the WXRHD shell likes very tight chokes, especially the 3" shell with 1.75 oz of shot but the 3.5" with 2 oz. also likes tight chokes. Both are hot shells with a lot of recoil and pretty punishing in light guns with short barrels.

The most important thing that you can do to help with performance in your short barrelled Mossberg is to "deep clean" the bore. The patterning board will allow you to see at what range your gun is effective and delivers good dense patterns.

As far as chokes go, I'd give what you have a try. Both are WXRHD rated and may work well for you. There are others that may work, if the ones you have don't but I would not spend any money until you try yours.

Lastly, it's important to have reasonable expectations for that gun. What's really important is that you know how it shoots at what range and then limit your shots to that range. The exact number of hits in a given circle is much less important.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Vaturkeyhntr

Thanks for the replys!!
And yes these guns have a punishing recoil when sighting then in at the range!! But then again they also put a hurtin on the turkeys!!!

gjr902

The Limb Saver recoil pads are worth every penny. They eat up the recoil. I use the Indian Creek choke in my 870, with the 3" Hevi Magnum Blend. Just about decapitated my South Dakota Tom at 35 yards. I would be comfortable at a 50 yard max with this set up. 60 yard max with the 3 1/2 Magnum Blend

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Vaturkeyhntr on January 09, 2013, 06:20:44 PM
Thanks for the replys!!
And yes these guns have a punishing recoil when sighting then in at the range!! But then again they also put a hurtin on the turkeys!!!

For bench work as well as hunting, you may want to consider slipping a Shooter's Friend recoil pad over the factory pad. It only adds 1/4" to the LOP and reduces recoil by as much as 70%.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Rio Fan

I shoot Xtended Range #5's through a Jellyhead choke and it crushes the birds.  My gun is a Benelli SBE II.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: gjr902 on January 09, 2013, 08:16:24 PM
The Limb Saver recoil pads are worth every penny. They eat up the recoil. I use the Indian Creek choke in my 870, with the 3" Hevi Magnum Blend. Just about decapitated my South Dakota Tom at 35 yards. I would be comfortable at a 50 yard max with this set up. 60 yard max with the 3 1/2 Magnum Blend

I'm shooting the straight #5 Hevi shot with the Indian Creek in my 870 and know that it will do 50+ yards easy.  I dropped a double bearded 23 pound KS gobbler ranged at 70 yards with one of those "now or never" shots that I hope to never take again.  He dropped like a rock.  After watching the bird work the field at that range for nearly an hour, never coming closer than 52 yards, with 3 jakes and a hen partying with our decoys at 20 yards... it was all I could take.  A bobcat had entered the edge of the field about 150-200 yards away and this big bird was locked on that bobcat.  He was starting to look panicked and the jakes had already taken to the woods.  As I said... now or never. 
I hope I don't have to make that kind of decision again, but it worked that morning.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Gooserbat

Now I usualy try to be different and I use either a Balistic Specialties .655 or a Sumtoy .658 in either of my 870 guns.  Both give tight even paterns.  I shot Winchester shells aswell.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.