Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Learning a new call.

Started by davisd9, January 06, 2013, 09:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Practicing on my Mother Lode Trumpet.  Been working on it for a while and think I have some passable yelps.  Got to tweak my cadence a bit but I think I could use it.  Would like to use the trumpet this year, especially in the late part of the season.  I think it can be an x-factor and throw a tone out there that the birds have not heard that much, if at all.  Anyone else use or learning the trumpet?  Anyone practicing a new call to hunt with this year? 

If I kill one with the trumpet I will mark it off my list of goals!   :fud:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

Trumpets take time but are effective calls,  I have an older Perfection trumpet and a couple of homemade wingbones I carry with me.  Keeping your lips wet is key, I also keep mine slightly to the left side of my lips as well, seem to get better suction.  They are great long distance calls and can be good for close calling by cupping you hands over the end of the trumpet to muffle it.  Some guys can gobble with them but all I have been able to do is simple yelps, clucks and cutts.  Have yet to master the kee-kee with one, been trying for 20 yrs. Good luck with it! 

dirt road ninja

I'm still learning the ones I already have.

JVA54

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

For some reasoning it's not letting me listen to it on my iPhone. Is it the same clip from earlier?

davisd9

It is not the exact same, but is yelps and clucks.

Turkeykiller12

Never tried a trumpet.

Sent from this thang that takes pictures, calls people and gets on Internet hunting forums.

M,Yingling

I got trumpet not to long ago and can make it yelp and cluck but thats bout it for now LOL

Wing bones i been messing with one bout 2 years now about give up on that thing makes my lips go numb LOL
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey