OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reflex / Holographic Sight Reccomendations

Started by GeorgeNK, January 04, 2013, 02:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeNK

Can someone recommend a good quality Reflex/Holographic sight , will probably be mounting on a 870.

Thanks

George

email:georgenk1@yahoo.com

captin_hook

Well you can go wild with this one. It's all on how much you want to spend. Eotechs are sweet but too pricey for me. Burris makes nice ones that won't break your wallet. There are some Burris dealers here on OG that will help you out if interested. You've come to the right place.

FullChoke

You might also consider the Mueller Quick Shot. It is a moderately priced holographic sight with a ton of great features. Comes in black or camo. I mounted it on my 870 20 gauge and used it all last year and several times this fall on squirrels and the original battery is still going strong. No problems with it at all.

http://muelleroptics.com/mqs12233

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Tail Feathers

Aimpoint is probably the best out there.
There's a reason the Blackwater type guys use them in Iraq and Afghanistan.
They turn them on when they get off the plane and turn them off when they leave the country.
Battery life is incredible and they are tough.

That said, for the money, I would be sorely tempted to try that Mueller.  Looks sweet and has a great price.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Gobbler

I have a Burris FF2 and love it -holds zero and is waterproof
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DirtNap647

Truglo TG8380B Tru-Brite Open Red Dot Sight  -this one has been catchin my eye for the price around $80.00 alot of options with it reticle and brightness change for the price its hard to look past and the reviews on cabelas are pretty good maybe someone on here can chime in

chatterbox

Burris Fast Fire III. TOUGH sight, waterproof, and will hold zero under magnum rounds.

allaboutshooting

I've used a bunch of them over the years, starting with the original Bushnell Halo sight. All of them are better than most of them were just a few years ago. The manufacturers have learned a lot about how to make them smaller, brighter, with more options and less expensively.

The Burris FF series are all excellent as has been stated.

The Truglo series are all good and very reasonably priced.

I frankly like all of the open style and some of the tube style.

You may want to think about the option of reticle colors. For some, the green works better than the red and it's just the opposite for others.

Different reticle shapes and sizes are also more important to some shooters than others.

If you have an opportunity, I'd recommend that you handle several and look through them. If  you're going to the NWTF Convention next month, that would give you an excellent opportunity to do that. All vendors will be there with different sights.

It really comes down to a personal choice of what looks good to you. The good news is that they're all pretty good.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mossy835

My Mueller is going on it's third season and still going strong. I did replace the factory battery but it ran through the sight in more than once and many days in the field always on.

BOFF

I have both the Eotech and Burris FFII. Both have served me well. Though bigger, I really like the EoTech. I really like the FFII as it is smaller, but not to happy about having to re sight it in when changing batteries. The FFIII has taken care of this to my knowledge.

You won't go wrong with either.

God Bless,
David B.

Tail Feathers

For the record, I shoot an older Bushnell tube style red dot and like it fine.
Clark probably spends more time checking these things out than most of us.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GSLAM95

I have very recently had both the FFIII and the Aimpoint H-1 in my hand (today) and although the Aimpoint is quite a bit higher priced the clarity was remarkable!  The guy showing me both said it best "There is Aimpoint and then there is the rest of them!"
The Burris FFIII was ok but the pros are out weighing the cons for me on the H-1.  The two biggest being clarity and a 50,000hr battery life..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Hognutz

Aimpoint..You change batteries after years, not hours..  :z-winnersmiley:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Wingbone

I guess I'm going the cheap route since I can't justify putting a $700 1X reflex sight on my turkey gun, but I can live with it. I use the Truglo saddle mount and Gobble Stopper. Both have killed several turkeys, and the saddle mount version saw me through my Slam. One that I plan on trying this spring is the Sight Mark reflex sight. It's built much like the Eotech, but only costs around $120. I have one on my AR and love it.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

archery1

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 05, 2013, 04:59:41 PM

mueller quick shot also!!!! love mine

The Burris FF series are all excellent as has been stated.

The Truglo series are all good and very reasonably priced.

You may want to think about the option of reticle colors. For some, the green works better than the red and it's just the opposite for others.

Different reticle shapes and sizes are also more important to some shooters than others.

If you have an opportunity, I'd recommend that you handle several and look through them. If  you're going to the NWTF Convention next month, that would give you an excellent opportunity to do that. All vendors will be there with different sights.

It really comes down to a personal choice of what looks good to you. The good news is that they're all pretty good.

Thanks,
Clark
Take a kid hunting