Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Making a run this year

Started by Jay, January 03, 2013, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

This is probably our best team ever,and after a 2-4-4-4 finish the last 4 years, we have a legit chance of making a stronger run at this in 2013. We have all returning contest members with 10/12 back from last years Raiders team. You know what you have to do as far as your pictures of measurements, so make sure it's done right. Make sure you are prepared to do that every time you are in the field. Not enterring a kill is not acceptable,even a Jake, unless you have a VERY good reason. I know we aren't the most chatty bunch, but we definitely lay down some nice Toms every year, and work hard to compete. Every one on this years team enterred birds last year in the contest, and probably will this year, so it gets down to hopefully shooting high scorers. Good luck everyone. :icon_thumright:

JW

Well Jay - you know if I don't put at least one bird score up here for this team it means only one thing!

I am dead and now hunting in that great turkey field beyond! I heard they don't allow pictures from up there.
JW

ncturkey

I have good places to hunt this year. So hopeful I will get a nice Tom this year.

Jay

New places are good. Wish I could get my home state lined up, which is always a tough road. Thankfully, I have Kansas, where I'm laying down my big birds.

chatterbox

Jay,

I just wanted to say I respect a man who can put his age on his teams banner! :funnyturkey:
You da MAN!

Bigsho69

I am going to try and hold out for a good one this year.  We will see though because when I get em inside 10 yds it is hard to resist shooting them.  LOL.

CSAW

Quote from: Bigsho69 on January 12, 2013, 10:07:30 PM
I am going to try and hold out for a good one this year.  We will see though because when I get em inside 10 yds it is hard to resist shooting them.  LOL.

I'm with ya on that, I love 2 year olds!

njdevilsb

There should be some good birds on the farm we lease this spring.  Last season there were 4 or 5 that were going back and forth between that piece and a few others, but nobody around us hunts turkey.  We only took one out of there last year.  There should be some big ol' 3 and 4 years olds around with some daggers.  At least that's how I envision it in my mind.  We didn't see many this fall during deer season, but it's like that every year.  Come spring time, they magically reappear.

Jay

I've got an area I'm going to be scouting in Iowa, that has plenty of birds, but I'm taking my wife, so I've got to scout it for easibility in walking.  ;D I about killed her last year.

ncturkey

I love easy to walk in hunting areas.

Jay

We have 5/12 members scoring already, which is our best start. Some nice birds with one in the 70's so far.  :laugh:A nice multi beard would be cool. We have many tags floating around out there yet, and no one filled out, so we are looking good. Keep doing what you guys do well, and lay em down.

CSAW

Haven't hunted in Mo much yet, maybe tomorrow and then off to Oklahoma on Thursday!  Good luck to all!  Stack em up!

Jay

Good luck Chad. You missed a good Kansas trip. Filled 2 in really 2 days, and Saturday got crazy for breeding/strutting all on the field I was set up on. Was awesome.

Jay

Quote from: Jay on April 16, 2013, 08:11:45 AM
We have 5/12 members scoring already, which is our best start. Some nice birds with one in the 70's so far.  :laugh:A nice multi beard would be cool. We have many tags floating around out there yet, and no one filled out, so we are looking good. Keep doing what you guys do well, and lay em down.
With CSAW laying one down this morning we are now at 6/12 members with a Tom. Chad's off to Oklahoma looking to upgrade on his 58. We are still on a roll :happy0064:

ncturkey

Congrat's to all those who have got a good gobbler this year. I am hoping to get me a good bird. I still 3 weeks to go in my season. Been having a good opening week. Big gobbler almost got in range on opening day. I saw a lot of hens and jakes on Wednesday and Thursday. The longbeards where gobbling around me but would never commit. Did have awesome hunt with daughter yesterday. We were try to get her a second turkey. We had three jakes and six hens around us for a hour. One jake came in to range but she did not want to shoot a jake. We had a gobbler gobbling in the woods across the field in front of us. We had a longbeard we did not know was coming in from our left. It was only five yards from us eating in the field. He only need to walk a few more yards so Macy could get a shot. But he spoted us a putted and ran straight away from us. The other turkeys did not spook. Ten minutes later the other gobbler we had been hearing gobble came out into the field. He went to the hens. He almost got into range. They all feed away with the big gobbler in toe. I thought Macy would have been sad but she was not. She said that is just hunting. She said there will be more turkeys to come. She is hooked. We are going again next Saturday. I will be going some ore this coming week. Hope to add to our total.