OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hooks slate or Dead End Roadblock slate

Started by tenringtaylor, January 01, 2013, 08:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenringtaylor

Hey guys Im looking for a new slate and could use some opinions. I'm looking for a slate with real good volume. Both the Hooks and Dead End have reviews saying they have good top ends. I've owned a bunch of good slates but I would really like to find one with a great top end and the pure turkey bottom end that slate is know for. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two slates?

dirt road ninja

Don't have either of the slates you mentioned, but do own several slates. I can't say any of them play particularly well loud. If your looking for more volume perhaps you'd be better served with a different surface.

TRKYHTR

I haven't tried the Deadend slate but the Hooks slate sounds great. You can't go wrong with the Hooks.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

870BkWht

If your looking for volume,  I would forgo on the idea of slate and look for a friction call with aluminum, copper, or ceramic as the striking surface.  If your deadset on choosing slate, I would go with the Hooks.  Their customer service is top notch.

If your interested in another surface, then look no farther than any number of the call makers on this board.

captin_hook

Cramers slate played nice and loud, you could change up the tone with different strikers.

savduck

I only own three slates. Most have not met my approval and they always get wet when I use em...which is no good. The best Ive ever run in Cane Creek Pro custom slate. It is LOUD and sounds great. Its the only pot call i own that has never lost its spot in my vest.
Georgia Boy

tenringtaylor

Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong guys. I own several pot calls, glass, crystal, and aluminum, but nothing beats the softness and of slate. In my opinion slate runs the best with a little moisture and although they are a quiter call I think they're the most realistic pot call. I've heard a few good slates that have good bottom and top ends but they're hard to find. I've bought a bunch and I'm still looking.

savduck

here is a Cane Creek being judged.

Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

Sounds good Del. Did you kill that gobbler?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

savduck

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 02, 2013, 11:06:26 PM

TRKYHTR

Hahahahaha. Nope. He is actually becoming legend. He is on public land and several people know about him, nobody can kill him. Seems like Ive come the closest. He was alive at the end of last season. He is at least 5, because this video is 3 seasons old now.He only gobbles two or three times and thats it. I had him at 30 yards a week after I shot this video. I was filming and guiding for my Dad. Dad couldnt see him. I could have dropped the hammer on him 30 times. No gun.
Georgia Boy

tenringtaylor

I ordered a CC pro custom slate today. I should have it in a couple days. Man the price is right to...$35

savduck

good luck with it. Let me know what you think when you get it.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 02, 2013, 11:06:26 PM

TRKYHTR

He ordered a slate so now I dont feel bad about hijacking this thread.

Here is the video i shot with Dad and that old bird. I was running the Crystal Mistress. It had gotten water drops on it. I was also using Martin brothers cutter. I usually dont get flustered, but this one had whooped me a few times by this point and I was throwing the kitchen sink at him after he had come in and Dad couldnt shoot. Before I re-taught myself on a mouth call too.

Georgia Boy

captin_hook

Man, for some reason I can't view this video. Id really like to watch it. :'(