OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need Alabama vacation advice

Started by marshboy, January 01, 2013, 07:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshboy

Hey all,
My wife and I are in the beginning stages of planning a trip for our 15th anniversary.  We are considering spending time in/around Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.
Our time frame would be for a week anytime from late April through mid May.

Question 1:  Will it be nice and warm by the end of April, or should we wait until the middle of May?
Question 2:  Neither of us are touristy...will this industry be cranked up by then?
Question 3:  Any recommendation on things to see or to avoid?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Jbird22

I personally prefer Orange Beach over Gulf Shores. Gulf Shores gets the larger crowds and can get way too congested for my liking.

1. Yes, late April should be nice and warm. I'd say low 80's for a high, sometimes warmer.
2. You should be coming in post Spring Break and pre Summer peak. May be slightly crowded but certainly tolerable.
3. Huge outlet mall (Tanger) and Mossy Oak store in Foley, maybe 30 mins away from Orange Beach. Also, as far as eats Lambert's in Foley is a MUST and if you like seafood, the Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores is highly recommended. Not much to speak of as far as things to avoid really. The only thing I don't care for there are all the cheesy souvenir shops.

Turkeykiller12

It'll probably be pretty warm around that time. Especially around the first of May, it can't start getting pretty warm even up here in North GA around then. As far as much stuff going on that will kinda be between spring break and summer vacation for folks so yeah most of the stuff should be crunk up by then. It's been a long time since I've been down there, to long as a matter of fact. Hope yall have fun.

TNTOM

If you want something off the beaten path you may want to look at Fairhope or Magnolia, AL.  Less commercial with more old southern charm.  Both are on the Mobile Bay and the beach is a short drive.

CASH

The Grand at Point Clear is one my favorite places on the coast. Cool place.  Off the beaten path and close to Fairhope. Fairly quiet and like somebody else mentioned, more Southern Charm. Of course I'm biased though, I like the beach but hate being around the crowds.
https://m.marriott.com/p?stpp=true&formid=frmResultDetails&cacheid=2f310dee0-7810-4832-8f24-67c08707fcb6#_frmResultDetails

Orange Beach is my 2nd place.

Gulf Shores is the really touristy part.

Plenty to do. Lots of great places to eat. If you're into military stuff, there's the USS Alabama Battleship Park on Mobile Bay and NAS Pensacola in P'cola. Both within 30-45 minutes of the beach.

As far as the weather goes, the heat and humidity start cranking up in April but its still pleasant. In May it starts getting more humid and warm. June to September it sucks. Lots of people, always humid, and hot.

Spring breakers in April and summer crowd in May.

Weather wise I'd go in April, but that's a moot point cause it'll still be turkey season and I'll be in the woods.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

marshboy

Lol, CASH, I'm already fretting on the spring turkey hunting with this trip in the works.  However, I'm only planning on one wife and on lots of turkey seasons, and she asks little of me.
I'll just have to hunt before and after my trip.
Thanks for the advice.
Greg

lightsoutcalls

The only place I have spent any time in Alabama is off of Mobile Bay on Dauphen Island.  I get tired of the beach in a few days, but did enjoy a charter fishing trip while there.  We stayed in a vacation rental house on the beach.   It was nice to be able to stroll the beach at sunset, relax on the deck and listen to the waves...   It makes a great romantic getaway with plenty of opportunity to unwind... or whatever...  ;)
It seems like there is a naval museum (not where they store famous belly buttons) in Mobile.  There are some other tourist attractions in the area as well. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Turkeykiller12

Alabamawx.com is a great weather blog to visit leading up to your trip. The blog has a beach weather section that includes water temperature and weather for the next few days on the alabama gulf coast. It's updated twice a day during the week and once a day on weekends. Hope that helps.

marshboy

rrhunter

check bruceatthebeach on youtube.he's a real estate agent from orange beach, and during the summer he does a weekly update of the weather,crowds and events going on in the area. we don't go without watching weeks in advance.
COME MARCH 15th.....HEADS WILL ROLL!!!!!!!!

dirt road ninja

I like Orange Beach better than GulfShores as well. My wife goes all the time with the kids, just about every weekend when schools out and I usually go once or twice a year to keep them happy.

Yes, it will be warm by then and the jellyfish won't be bad at that time.

It should not be too crowded during that time frame either, but there will be people there. If you like to fish, the spring cobia run is happening at that time and that would be about the only charter trip I'd take out of there. I don't golf, but my brother does and he plays a few days when he is down there.

BamaProud

I'll suggest Dauphin Island.  Much less touristy, but still plenty to do.  You can also take a 30 min Ferry Ride across the Bay to Gulf Shores if you or the wife want to do the tourist thing for a day.  Lots of Charter Boats at the Dauphin Island Marina, fishing should be getting cranked up by then. 

Depending on what you consider warm, It can still be a bit cool in late April Normal highs along the Northern Gulf Coast for the last week of April are 77-80 degrees with lows (on the beach)around 60.  Record lows for late April are in hte mid to upper 40s with record highs in the low 90s. 
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

longbow59

We always stay at fort morgan, you will be away from the crowds. The problem with going that time of the year is catching a rainy period. We went in May one year and it rained everyday.

J Hook Max

I live around that area and everyone gave you excellent advice. It will likely be very warm and you need to eat all the seafood you can. Try Doc's in Orange Beach and Fairhope and Point Clear are great places to check out.
P.S. There is very good turkey hunting just a short drive to the North.

marshboy

Thanks for all the advice.
It's most appreciated.
Greg