OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I have an idea!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 03, 2011, 12:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Here is my idea.  I first want to mention that I would not want to hurt the bird just test my skills.  Here is my idea.  Set up a strutting decoy, put on the ghillie suit, lay next to decoy, and call in a bird.  I would like to see how close you could get to a bird as he came in to fight the decoy.  I am guessing that you could touch one or have it stand on you if you were able to stay calm.  So would you be willing to try it?  I would think having someone with you to call would help.  They could also video for you. 

Hognutz

Sounds like a good way to get shot. I guess I just don't get the point of it. Mike ???
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Crutch

I've called hens withing 3 or 4 feet before but they didn't get close enough to touch because of obsticles (me and a log or a tree/bush).   In a ghille, they would be all over you, if they were feeding.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

TClark

The Indians would dig pits big enough for them to hide in. On the top covering were branches and leaves to conceal their location. Then was added a small animal in the center to attract the attention of birds of prey...especially eagles.
 When the birds would try to take the bait, the Indians would grab their feet.
 They never killed these birds but would pick a few select feathers for their head dress and other decorations and ceremonies.

I think your idea would be FUN  "IF you did it out of season". AND, Id bet you could catch one by hand this way too...look out for the spikes....lol
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

lightsoutcalls

Just put you a pile of corn in your lap...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

A few years ago 2-3 days before season,Kamski and I were standing on his front porch and ask to hear my slate call. well no sooner had I hit it than a gobbler hollered. We sat down with me against a cheery sapling and kamski lay flat on the ground. We didnt call anymore cause I didnt want to spook him off our place.Well here he come gobbling all the way.I was wearing camo,and kamski was wearing a blue and white checkered wool shirt and blue jeans.He passed me at 10 feet and kamski at maybe 2 feet. VROOMMMMMMM,VROOOMMMMMMing as he walked by. No I never killed him cause opening day I bumped trying to get a bit closer.

wisconsinteacher

The point would be to grab the feet and hang on for a little fun.  I would not do it during season or on public land.  I was just thinking that if you could get a bird that close you would learn a lot and have a little fun at the same time.  I would also like to see his eyes when he finds out you are not part of the field but a threat.

TrackeySauresRex

I've almost had em close enough to grab a few times..
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

mnturkey

That would be a lot of fun.
I have had deer within 5 feet or so while I was turkey Hunting and Duck Hunting.
I would want to remember to wear saftey glasses under the suit.
SEMPER FI

vicksburg

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 03, 2011, 02:37:58 PM
The point would be to grab the feet and hang on for a little fun.  I would not do it during season or on public land.  I was just thinking that if you could get a bird that close you would learn a lot and have a little fun at the same time.  I would also like to see his eyes when he finds out you are not part of the field but a threat.
You don't wanna do that!
I shot at a longbeard when i was a kid, and he disappeared into some canes.  I eased over there to make sure i didn't hit him and he was in the canes sitting down like he was on a nest.  He had blood running out of his eyes,  I think 1 pellet binded him.  I wasnt smart enough to shoot him again, so i eased up to him and grabbed him by the head...it was bad.
I had lots of scrapes and bruises and wasnt sure if i was gonna be able to hold on.  That sucker could dang near drag me by flying.  I really felt like i had been in a bar fight after a good 2 minute struggle.  I finally was able to make him tap out. :TooFunny: 

You have been warned...they are much stronger than you think.

BTW...thats a true story.
]

Basser69

Someone I was talking too in a private message "pre-crash" told me that he did touch one a couple of years ago and it nearly turned inside out trying to get the heck out of dodge.

neal

Two years ago I called up a gobbler on a youth hunt and it slipped by the shooter and stepped right over the legs of his dad who was just along to watch. Pretty awesome to be that close.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

M Sharpe

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 03, 2011, 02:37:58 PM

I'd also like to see your eyes while he was beating you with his wings and got his spurs tangled in the gloves of that gillie suit and you trying to get away. I'm sure your camaraman would be rolling and have a story to tell at your expense. :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

wisconsinteacher

Okay, it is a dumb idea, but I did good this year.  I made it to early March before the first one came out.  I do have a ghillie suit, and hope to use it this year.  I had two does very close bowhunting but could not get a shot with it last fall.