turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite call

Started by dirt road ninja, December 27, 2012, 12:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

I've been running my box call lots this winter and I run a diaphragm just about every day. I have a 152 mile round trip everyday to and from work, so I get plenty of practice with them and I'm still only serviceable with them. I don't know what the above has to do with the question I'm going to pose, but I typed it anyway.

What's your favorite call either by brand or type?

My favorite to play with right now is a box, when I first started turkey hunting I bought a nice box at a show and used it and a slate for a few season till I felt good enough to use my mouth calls.
My favorite calls to hunt with are diaphragms – Ever since I walked the first one to the end of my gun using one they have been my go to calls. I really like that you can carry 10 of them and not have any extra weight, they can be played while remaining still and are dollar for dollar the most effective call out there IMO. There have been seasons where all I carried was a few mouth calls and a crow call. If I had to pick a favorite it would be a tie between the C.C. Smoker, and the XT Mayhem.

I use pot calls just about every trip and would pick them as my #2 favorite to hunt with. The surface I prefer is aluminum, it is easy to maintain, works wet and plays loud or soft. It seems I'm drawn to pot calls more on the classifieds here than any other type of call. I have started a nice hunting collection of them, and plan to use them more this season than last.

Calls I'd like to learn to play better are tubes. The only one I have is the one Mike made us all last year. I can't get the soft calling down, but can do fair yelps and clucks and a very loud cackle. I'm not to the point where I will carry it in the field, but it's my goal to get enough confidence in one to hunt with them. Once I feel good with a tube I'm going to start on trumpets, but for some reason they have only appealed to me as a collectable and not as hunting tool. My son is much better on one than I am and when he calls his first one in alone it will probably be on a trumpet. 

Turkeykiller12

For me it's between a good box call and a good pot call. I like to use a mouth call when they get into killing range. I started using legacy mouth calls last year and I really liked them.

M,Yingling

I like a good box call or pot call copper is my got to call ,,, Never could get use to the mouth calls
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

davisd9

My favorite call is my favorite for more sentimental reasons than anything else.  My favorite is the first custom call I ever bought.  It is a Southland Game Call Slate with a hickory striker.  It has a walnut base.  It was the call that I called in my very first turkey with, a jake, and the call that I killed my first Tom with, 20 lbs., 11.5" beard, and 1" spurs.  That old Southland will always have a place in my vest and in my heart.

My favorite style of call is a pot and striker.  They produce wonderful sounds and are pieces of art in my opinion.  I have a few different ones and hope to build a good collection one day.  Yesterday I purchased a bloodwood frame with an aluminum calling surface to use in rainy/wet conditions. 

My favorite mouth call is the XT Havoc.  I started using these calls after my hunting mentor recommended them to me.  They are made with a tough tape and you have to get used to them, but man they can talk turkey.  I also use the XT Mayhem and Legacy Game Calls.  I prefer a 3 reeded call.

I like box calls but have not mastered them as yet.  I can make a passable yelp but that is all I have gotten down.  I know that they are supposed to be one of the easier calls to use but I just have not got it down yet.  Not sure if it is insercurity or what.  I have also not put in the time practicing that I should have as of yet.  Was planning to try and kill a bird with one this spring and that is still a goal.

My new Spring Allure is up there near the top of the list of calls that I really like.  Right now the calls I will be toting in my vest this spring is my Southland Slate, Spring Allure Crystal, HS Strut Black Widow Glass, XT Havoc and Mayhem, and a Wendell Lancaster Custom Box Call.  Will have some locators and others but those will be my turkey calls, but those can always change.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JVA54

When I started hunting I use mouth calls all the time also had box call I used some, but a pot call is my go to call anymore just love the sound you can get out of them!

boomer

A mouth call is my go to call. Use them 95% of the time or I use a slate call.