OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Morels

Started by FullChoke, March 03, 2011, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

habitatmd

Quote from: FullChoke on March 03, 2011, 12:14:35 PM
Man, I am envious of you guys that hunt in areas that grow morel mushrooms. They just don't grow in MS. Post your morel photos and stories for the benefit of the hungry.

FullChoke

I dated a girl from Atlanta and found some down there.  Guess Georgia ain't exactly Ms.  I personally like the small greys as opposed to the yellows.  I won't pass up the yellows though.

Here are a few greys from Mo.

Ole Executioner took some time out from turkey hunting to cook help cook them up.

Brent

They do grow in Mississippi; at least in the northern half.  They grow in Alabama too.   The general rule is north of Birmingham, but I'm sure there are a few south of there.   I live in north Alabama and found a ton of them in 09 but it was so dry last spring I hardly found any.

If you know anything about looking for gensing, look in the same type ground that you would find ginseng in (rich damp shaded soil) and you should be able to find a few morels.   I usually find them here in ash and poplar thickets, and dying elms are also very good.

HoleInTheWall Longbeard

Here is a few I found when I lived in S.W. Montana.They were hard to find. It was a dry year.