turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Morels

Started by FullChoke, March 03, 2011, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: FullChoke on March 03, 2011, 12:14:35 PMI am envious of you guys that hunt in areas that grow morel mushrooms. They just don't grow in.........
Florida!!!
x 2 :(
I want to eat some morels. :P

VAHUNTER

some times they are hit or miss. i have several honey holes for morels. some years we get more than we can eat. other years like last year. we was lucky to find enough to dirty a skillet.
Good things come to those who wait

MarkJM

still way early for morels here in PA, i will post some pics of them when I start hunting them  :smiley-char092:
MuellerCustomCalls

Spring Creek Calls

I hit the jackpot in KS last spring. Never found the yellows and grays like that before. Got back to MI just in time to hit the black morels of the north. Was lucking enough to shoot a couple gobblers too!

Pitboss - is that a pile of morels in the background?

:z-paddy-smiley113:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

runngun

Man two years ago while hunting in Oklahoma there was a guy from Kansas (Shawn) who brought a bunch of morels with him. Shawn said he found them in Kansas. He battered (egg wash, seasoned flour) them and fried them in butter. OH MY GOD, THEM JOKERS WAS SOME KINDA GREAT !!!!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mason0366

If you find a bunch can you freeze them?

Crutch

You can, they aren't quite as good but they are still good when you are eating morels and they have been out of season for a while.

Rinse and dry, poweder with flour then freeze. The flour helps to keep them from freezing together.
I freeze them on a cookie sheet, then bag them up later and put back in freezer.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Basser69

I just want to try one. I am almost afraid that if they are as good as everyone says, I would want to move

Fullfan

I have been hunting SE Mo for the past 20 years, hear all kind of stories from the local folks bout the shrooms. Up until last year I only ever found one or two. Well last year the boy shot a gobbler and he took me back to show me where he was and we discovered several..

Don't gobble at me...

Crutch

Quote from: Basser69 on March 04, 2011, 01:11:51 PM
I just want to try one. I am almost afraid that if they are as good as everyone says, I would want to move

You might just need to take a little road trip or ask some old country folks where to find them.  It takes me about 2 mushrooms to get my eyes tuned in to finding them, then I don't let many slip by but until you find a few they seem invisible.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Gobble!

In past years we have filled up 100lb feed sacks with them and restaurants have PAID BIG BUCKS for them

Bonjour

Quote from: Crutch on March 04, 2011, 04:11:48 PM
Quote from: Basser69 on March 04, 2011, 01:11:51 PM

You might just need to take a little road trip or ask some old country folks where to find them.  It takes me about 2 mushrooms to get my eyes tuned in to finding them, then I don't let many slip by but until you find a few they seem invisible.
That is so true. I could be stopped and looking and not see anything and then once I spot 1, it's like they all of a sudden appear everywhere. The places you will find them is about a 20 foot radius from a dead elm or ash. Sometimes different trees will produce them, but the key is if the bark is just starting to fall off. I have found them in patches that were 8 pounds there and the next year you might find a couple or you might find 10 pounds. The best conditions are when you get a good soaker rain for about a day and then the sun pops out for a couple of days. They will be popping everywhere.

Basser69

Thanks Ryan.
That could explain my issue with never seeing one. There are not a lot of ash or elm trees down here just a bunch of freaking pines now.

turkaholic

I always get um mixed up with the ones that grow next to cow flops. Eat a few of those babys and see turkeys everywhere.
live to hunt hunt to live

mason0366

Talked to my swetties uncle. He picks every year. He said he knowed where bunches of them are. He said he would take me.