OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Morels

Started by FullChoke, March 03, 2011, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskie03

There awesome, they also get sold for up to $40 a quarter pound.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Crutch

I like the little grey one and small yellow 4" too. I've seen pics of a yellow the size of a gallon milk jug from Ill or IN.
My honey hole is full of the early black ones when they start popping.

Good luck hunting this year.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

ghillie

egg wash and seasoned flour, deep fried...one of the best

I also like a tempura batter and then fried in peanut oil...

there are great in just about anything....

A couple of my favorite ways to eat them is mixed in with macaroni and farmers cheese...bread crumbs on the top and baked...

Another is with wild turkey breast fillet, pounded thin and then layers of Feta cheese, fresh herbs and diced morels.   Roll that breast up into a pinwheel and bake low and slow....yum yum!!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

They are earthy tasting but not to overpowering...texture is firm...to bad they do not keep well...

ghillie

BEWARE of false morels.....you will get sicker than....both ends...not good

Muskie03

Cut in half cooked with butter and salt and pepper in a tin foil boat. Eaten with fresh trout wraped in foil with butter lemon pepper and garlic salt. All on the grill.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

marshboy

Here's some more from Iowa...I enjoy taking my kids to find them:

Yes, my daughter really dressed like this to go mushroom hunting...there's no arguing with her.  I can't wait to deal with her when she's 17.

I can't wait to find a few more this spring.
Greg

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

Bonjour

Couple more iowa shrooms. We do grow them big.

nice little patch here.

mason0366

HOw can you tell if they are good one. I have ate before. Just never picked them. I would hate to eat them and wake up dead! Or out playing in traffic thinking I am in the woods! LoL

marshboy

Just slice one in half...
The "good" ones, the true morels are hollow.
The false morels are not.
Its easy to tell.
Greg

woodchip

I used to look and look for those things while turkey hunting here in KY but never found them until 2009.  I was sneaking up to the edge of a field to check for turkeys and was standing there after the field was found empty.  I was aggrevated with hunting and looked down at the ground and 2" from my boot was a morel.  I got to looking around and found 200 about 2" to 4" long.  It was also the first time ever eating them.  Man, they are the BEST!!  Not like anything you can buy.  Hard to describe the flavor, but GOOOOOD!  Funny, I checked the same spot a couple times during the 2010 season and found none.

Hope they are there this year!

mason0366

Crutch

Woodchip, 2010 was lousy for morels in TN and you arent that far away. It dried up early that spring.

I have never found a false morel but have seen pics. Not much of an issue to worry about.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Jay

They are easy to miss, if you are concentrating on Turkey hunting. Last year in Kansas, I'm hunting with buddys 14 year old son, and due to a shoulder injury, he's trailing us mushroom hunting. We are running and gunning a hot Tom. when he taps me on the shoulder, and motions down. I'm standing on some large morels without even knowing they are there. He collected areound 5#s in one spot no bigger than 8' by 8'. If he hadn't been with us, his son and me would have walked right thru them unaware.

pittboss

Some good eating for sure

Pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!