turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Morels

Started by FullChoke, March 03, 2011, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Man, I am envious of you guys that hunt in areas that grow morel mushrooms. They just don't grow in MS. Post your morel photos and stories for the benefit of the hungry.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

n2deer

I was wondering in what areas they grow most, I have only seen them one time in alabama. There was very few of them and was in a dark somewhat damp area.

Basser69

Hunting in Alabama, I have never seen them.... Nots saying they don't grow here, just that I have never seen any of them or gotten to eat any

Muskie03

The evening hunt was pretty quiet so my buddy and I decided to head back to camp and cook our steaks early. And on the way we would stop and pick some morels at a "morel hot spot" about 200 yds from our tents. Well when we got there we realized we dont have anything to carry them with when I brainstormed the idea to pull a deke outta my pack and filler up. While were turkey hunting we usually pick between 5-10 pounds a year. There is about 3 pounds in that decoy.

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

bowhunter84

i have never seen any in alabama.

Crutch

It is my opinion that the grow in every state.  They grow in Washington State and TN, so that pretty much covers every extreme.

2 Years ago, I got up early for a Saturday and went the woods on my Grandmothers place.  Shortly I started finding a few scattered
shroons and kept moving and looking for a hot spot where I could fill up quick. Around 10 am this turkey started gobbling, and he was
still gobbling at 2 PM.  That is what forced me to start turkey hunting. 

Last year was bad for mushrooms and I found maybe 1 lb. The year before I found everywhere for a long period of time. 
I suspect by April, the early black ones will be jumping out.  Can't wait. Hoping to take Monday and Friday of the opening week and
if I tag in the mornings, the rest of the day will be spent hunting mushrooms.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

hookedspur

We pick several hundred every year in WV>
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

vaturkey

MUSKIE03

GOOD EATIN THERE. GOOD IDEA STICKING THEM IN YOUR DECOY.  :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Skeeterbait

I am not aware of true morels growing in Alabama, at least not the southern half of the state.  We do have varieties of false morels that grow here that are toxic.  So for the unknowledgable who might be reading this thread,  be very careful of the identification of any mushroom or leave them alone.

Crutch

map of morel finds..
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

shootumindaface

I am fortunate to live in Morel heaven.. They are numerous mysteries surrounding the growth of morels or lack there of..

For those of you that cannot find them, I believe in the last two years Michigan State University has finally unlocked the mystery of growing them..

ghillie

We also have these too....if your into rare wildflowers that is!! 

Muskie03

Ghillie, you guys down there in Iowa always seem to get the MONSTERS. We've only found a couple like that.

As for distribution they grow from Alabama to as far north as the Artic Circle. And I think they grow around the world too.

There also our state mushroom.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

ghillie

Yep...we do grow em BIG in Iowa..... :begging:   (not just shrooms)   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Those were actually a little late in the season...as you can see by the really dark yellows...I like the 3"-4" range...better flavor I think

TANK

I never had them, much less seen one. How do you cook them? What do they taste like? I've had the Portabello's, and the little white ones from the grocery store. I love them both!