turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DIY turkey hunts

Started by TauntoHawk, December 22, 2012, 04:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

While there is still some hunting to be had yet this late season I can't help but shift my mind to the turkey season is around the corner.

While I hunt PA and NY every year with good success I get the itch way before our seasons kick off up here. Looking for an out of state hunt that me and buddy can do in early-mid April. We'll either camp or find somewhere cheap to stay since my buddy is on a tight budget and I'll probably already be covering gas and license fees for both us.

-Trip is going to be just a few days so driving distance from PA is a bit of a factor.
-All day hunting would be a plus because it would maximize time on a short trip.
-over the counter tags, it looks like Michigan and Wisconsin are on an App/Draw system

Looking for the trip to be somewhere around the April 13th weekend or earlier because the 20th (NY youth hunt) and on we will be busy hunting our own turf.
Anyone have some insight from previous DIY trips on public land and WMUs. Just looking for somewhere to go for a few days and get on some birds, we're not afraid of a little hiking either. I've done a little looking at season dates and such, Considering Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina right now but haven't ruled out anywhere with an early enough start date.

Thanks, Nate
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spring Creek Calls

I believe that's a bit early for Michigan. You may have to look a little further south. There's plenty of birds in southern MI but very little public ground.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

ElkTurkMan

My home state of Georgia's season will be in full swing mid April.  Come on down we have plenty of WMA'S, as National Forest that is open to turkey hunting, and liscense's are over the counter.   

alclark2

I'm headed to Alabama late March for Spring Break.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

pseshooter300

I would suggest Virginia,Tennessee,Georgia,Alabama
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

ncturkey

I will give you a little info. about North Carolina. NC turkey season opens on April 13. I hunted the NC game lands for years. Opening day will be packed on most of the game lands. But during opening week would be better. But they could still have some pressure. The bigger National Forest lands in western NC are good palce to try. If it is not to far for you I would try the SC WMA's. There season starts on April 1. for most of the state. The Sumter National Forest Lands are great WMA's. Most have camping sites if you are into that. By April 13 South Carolina's turkey season will be a great time to hunt. Most of the opening week crowd will be long gone. Hens will be starting to nest. Perfect time to find a lonely gobbler. Personnely I think either NC or SC are great states to hunt. Good Luck.

TauntoHawk

Looking at Tenn and hunting Cherokee in the north east corner of the state.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

agturkey

My advice dont hunt other states openers if your DIY is public anywhere!
Look at your trip...drive...fly...solo hunt etc. 

Budget....look at all cost!  Sleep food gas tags etc

You like hunt with bow?  If so you have some states have early season for it that is lower pressure on great ground......ne ks example

Species?  Ever killed others than easterns? Try to start your slam....OK has great rio hunting public also certain spots of KS

Travel on Saturday/Sundays hunt week days!

Look into trading hunts with others that give just not take!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very important not take first offer on a trade!!!!! Meet a person at a show or on a forum....give them a hunt as good or better than guided hunt an trade not only the land to hunt but the whole package scouting food bed etc!  I have been burn on this a few times!  Never again!!!!!! Sore and sour subject with me!!!

Dont over look asking a guide to take you in for a mid season week day hunt!  They have bills to pay you have bills to spend offer....there is wiggle room!

Make sure you go with realistics goals and look at it as a learning experience for another spring season in the future...

Dont over pack!  It happens to all of us!