Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you prefer your turkey gun to be set up?

Started by strutzone, December 20, 2012, 12:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutzone

I've posed this question on another forum and just wanted to know what your opinions are. When setting up your turkey gun what do you prefer? And let's just use the arbitrary number of 400 total pellet count and 40 yard max distance. But also consider what the pattern is doing at 15-20 yards.
1.   Do you prefer more pellets in your 10" circle and less in your 20" circle at 40 yards (i.e. 250 in 10"circle and 150 in 20" circle)?
2.   Or do you want it to be more even like 200 in the 10" and 200 in the 20" at 40 yards?
3.   Or less in the 10" circle and more in the 20"circle at 40 yards?
4.   Or something else entirely.

dirt road ninja

I'll be in the minority, but I prefer a stronger 10 with a weaker 20. When the birds too close, I just shoot a little low.

savduck

Simple and deadly accurate. I like mine lightweight, accurate, and with few "gadgets" to malfunction

I shot 20 ga only last year. I shot federal 7s out of two guns. I shot about 10 different chokes. Had some patterns as low as 75 in 10 at 40 and as high as 180 in 10 at 40. I prefer the chokes that put up 125 to 140 numbers in 10 at forty. This gave PLENTY of pellets in a dense ten ring, but also a high number in the 20 ring in case of a flinch.
Georgia Boy

outdoors

:fud: I agree with savduck what U need is a good even pattern . . . .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

vtmchunter

Quote from: dirt road ninja on December 20, 2012, 01:20:05 PM
I'll be in the minority, but I prefer a stronger 10 with a weaker 20. When the birds too close, I just shoot a little low.

Just like this.  I don't have any problem missing birds within 40 yards.  If a bird is 15 yards or less, a 2" hole through the base of the neck where the whole load went through usually stops them.

paladin

I like to see 40 to 50 percent in the 10" at 40 yards and another 40 percent in the 20".
I shoot a burris fastfire.
"have gun-will travel"

allaboutshooting

For me, it depends a lot on the type of terrain that I hunt. If most of my shots are at 25 yards or at 40 yards, for example.

I like to see good dense 10" patterns at both 25 yards and 40 yards. The only real difference that I expect to see in them is more fringe pattern (12" out to 20") at 40 yards than at 25.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Crappiepro

TrackeySauresRex

Mine is prety much set up like your #2, give or take a few pellets  ;D
  Even though we all like them big numbers, I think having a good even pattern is the most important. JMO
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

About 13" to 15" of coverage without a single hole that my target could slip through.  It's really nice if the coverage on out to 20" looks good, but perfectly covered dense 20" circles are hard to come by.

surehuntsalot

all I'm looking for is a good overall even hunting pattern
the last time I checked a turkey is not armour plated
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

agturkey

I like my guns set up on style of hunting...for example I hate optics when blind hunting...like longer range set ups for more open terrain hunting with optics...I like run and gun light weight set ups...but more than anything I like even patterns and high density shot...I have guns set up to kill long range, pack easy, and shoulder great...I have more than I need once I take any shotgun and shoot anything besides a standard shotgun shell....why do I say this?  I truly think most all shot guns with the right shell and full factory choke will kill any bird 40 yards or less...really think we all like to perfect more than what is needed to pack turkeys out of the fields and woods we spend so much blessed time in!

If I had to just pick one overall gun, one shell, and one choke I have...on a pretty simple budget...it would be a 26" 870'with a kicks 650 and the good ol black 3" HV 6 shot shell....it's just all around hard set up...if my budget is a little more than a kicks 665 some remington hevishot org with a bsquare and red dot....if my budget is unlimited I'd pack an M2 20 with eotec and federal hw 7 with a 580 Carlson non ported....still looking for the cash on that set up though :z-flirtysmile3:!!!!

TauntoHawk

Even 20 ring at 40 with Hevi 6's gets it done pretty much every time. And the sure shot stock and fast fire II make it easy to carry
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I can't imagine that anyone will say they would want more pellets between 10" and 20", than in the 10" circle.  About 50/50 makes sense, and more in the 10 makes sense, but the other option won't get many votes.

Jourdan_D

I like my turkey gun like my women short, sweet, light weight and deadly.

For my pattern I like to get 300+ in a 15 inch circle at 40.