OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mossberg 535 turkey thug or 500 tactical turkey?

Started by egall816, December 16, 2012, 03:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egall816

im getting into turkey hunting this spring and want to get a shotgun for it and i narrowed it down to either the 535 turkey thug or 500 tactical turkey so my question is does anyone own either one or shot either one? and if you own or shot them which one do you like?

davisd9

Out of those two I would go with the 500.  I would look at a 24" or 26" barrel with some Hevi-Shot 3" Mag Blends, #6s, or #7s.  I personally prefer the 6s or Mag Blends but the 7s will kill.  A Pure Gold choke or an IC should make that gun a true killer.

If you want a 3.5" gun I would go with the 835 over the 535.  It has the back bored barrel and is famous for producing great patterns.  I love my 835 and would not trade it for any other weapon.  When the 535 first came out some claimed they had trouble getting it to pattern well.  That may not be the case anymore but is worth mentioning.  Some guys love the 535 while some buy it and then get rid of it for the 835. 

All are great guns and with some work can be made to be true turkey slayers!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Buy an 835, and never look back. I had patterning issues with my 535. I sold it and bought the 835.
Much better gun in my opinion. Alot easier to get better patters right off the bat.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: egall816 on December 16, 2012, 03:36:00 PM
im getting into turkey hunting this spring and want to get a shotgun for it and i narrowed it down to either the 535 turkey thug or 500 tactical turkey so my question is does anyone own either one or shot either one? and if you own or shot them which one do you like?

First of all, welcome to OG. Glad you're here and look forward to getting to know you better.

I have the NWTF camo 535 "combo" gun with 22" and 28" barrels. The 22" turkey barrel has sights and the 28" is the waterfowl barrel. I let a friend have my first one. It's the only gun he's used since he got it from me.

He uses the 22" barrel for deer with slugs and for turkeys. He uses the other barrel for waterfowl and this year, he also used it for still target shooting at a couple of events here.

When I had the first one, I only shot 3" shells through it, since it's a very light gun and can be pretty punishing with the 3.5" shells and it's very loud with the short barrel. (I actually prefer the 28" barrel for everything.)

I don't think you'll see any difference whatsoever in the patterns from the 535 and the 500. They have the same barrel. The 535 just has a 3.5" chamber and the 500 has a 3" chamber.

If you want the option of shooting a 3.5" shell then the 535 might be a better choice. Otherwise, it would be a matter of which gun felt better and which had the better price.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

paladin

both good guns. neither would be my choice but I would take the 535.
I would look at an 835. Mine is great.
"have gun-will travel"

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: egall816 on December 16, 2012, 03:36:00 PM

I had a 535 combo that came with a turkey barrel and the slug barrel. Having different configurations was nice, but in the end I never used the slug barrel. So my combo gun had turned into just a turkey gun. I sold the 535 combo and got an 835. I have shot my 835, and it doesn't have the harsh recoil of the 535 with 3.5" shells. I do plan on putting a limbsaver on my 835 soon. But if the 835 isn't an option, I wouldn't buy the 535 unless it came with the slug barrel.

I guess I typed all of that to say this, if you want a shotgun for turkey hunting only? Go with an 835, or if price is a concern go with the 500. If you really want a combo shotgun, get a combo with the slug and turkey barrels.
If Silence Is Golden, Why is Duct Tape Silver?

SumToy

Welcome to the fun of OG. 

Now 835 1st then if you can look at the 535(see if chokes are centered) it would be 2nd then the 500. 

Had a more 535 the chokes off center then any of the others.  Now get it cut and rethreaded it will smoke. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

njdevilsb

I own a 535 and I like it a lot.  The price was the reason I bought it when I did, about 5 years ago.  It packs quite a punch on both ends.  Pure Gold and Indian Creek chokes both throw nice patterns for me with Hevi. 

egall816

thanks for all the advice guys so from the sounds of it the 835 is the best choice? and i would pretty much be mainly using the 3" and i dont think i need a 3 1/2" shell so now i gotta check out the 835

chatterbox

Quote from: egall816 on December 19, 2012, 08:36:40 AM
thanks for all the advice guys so from the sounds of it the 835 is the best choice? and i would pretty much be mainly using the 3" and i dont think i need a 3 1/2" shell so now i gotta check out the 835
It is. Get the 835, you won't be dissapointed!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: egall816 on December 19, 2012, 08:36:40 AM

Always a good choice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

egall816

my next question for you guys is pistol grip? or full length stock? like whats the pros and cons of both for gobbler

chatterbox

Quote from: egall816 on December 20, 2012, 04:04:22 PM
my next question for you guys is pistol grip? or full length stock? like whats the pros and cons of both for gobbler
Personally, with the safety being on the top, I find it harder to reach it with a tactical grip. I find it much easier with my smaller hands to have a standard stock. It's just a little too much movement for my liking.

davisd9

That is a personal decision.  I like the standard stock but have considered the pistol grip.  Try both in the store and see which you like.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer