OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rust on the roof

Started by 101st501, December 15, 2012, 09:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101st501

I have a spot of rust about the size of a .50 cent piece on the roof of my truck.  The body shop wants alot of money to fix this little area.  Does anyone have any suggestions to best remove the rust and prevent it from coming back?

longspur

Depends on what kind of truck. If its my OLD truck, I get some sandpaper and get all the rust off and match it best I can with some rust-oleum.

SinGin

A lot of auto parts stores can match the color of your paint with the VIN number and the can mix a small amount for touch ups.

Turkey Trot

If it is buying matching paint you are concerned about, Ford dealers have small containers of paint in the parts department.  They should be able to match it better than anyone.  I'd ask them about the primer as well.

Once painted, the spot will stand out due to age differential and lack of oxidation the surrounding are has incurred.  But if you don't suffer from OCD and can live with a little discrepancy out of sight on the roof as long as the rust stopped it will be fine.

I'd bet that you can find something on youtube addressing a home remedy.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter