OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris Speed Dot Drifting!!

Started by HoggleGobble, March 03, 2011, 09:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

Well,
Last year I put on a Burris Speed Dot on my Max Gobbler because my POI and POA was off a bit... Well after shooting a few 3 1/2" Nitros through it, my red dot would shift substantially! I missed three turkeys last year because of this and became furious with myself for trusting it after missing the first turkey with it...  Shot it after missing the last turkey, and I could not even hit the paper when target shooting!!!! HIGHLY IRITATED!! Well, the gun comes with Williams Fire Sights, and I can adjust myself for the POI. My question is would you stick with the Williams Fire Sights, or would you buy another form of optics for it. I am not a fan of the Burris Speed Dot and am VERY concerned about the Burris product now. Maybe it's just a bad apple..... Thanks Guys!!

Reloader

I would send it back to Burris, have it repaired, sell it, and buy a Fast Fire or a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20 turkey pro.

When an optic lets you down, it's hard to regain confidence even if you have it repaired.  If replaced, that's alittle different.

Reloader

On another note, did you have the barrel on and off after sighting in?

Removing and replacing a bbl when the optic is on the reciever can cause the zero to change.  I like to pull my bbls, clean them, place them back on, tighten the mag cap by hand, place a piece of rubber on the cap and get about 3 more clicks with channel locks, shoot to verify zero, then pull a bore snake through a few times.  I don't remove the bbl again til after the season.

pullit

Did you check the mount to make sure it was tight?
The Burris products all have a life time replacement on them

HoggleGobble

Quote from: Reloader on March 03, 2011, 09:53:59 AM
I would send it back to Burris, have it repaired, sell it, and buy a Fast Fire or a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20 turkey pro.

When an optic lets you down, it's hard to regain confidence even if you have it repaired.  If replaced, that's alittle different.

how reliable are the fast fires? and how much are they...

pullit

FF are in the $200-$250 range depending on the mount system.
Lots of people on here are using them. I have two and not had any trouble with mine, but I had a Speed Dot as well and did not have any trouble with it either.

HoggleGobble

Quote from: Reloader on March 03, 2011, 09:53:59 AM

I wonder if burris will trade out right since the speed dot cost alittle more than the FF2?

WyoHunter

I'd replace it with a Bushnell or Nikon turkey scope.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

HoggleGobble

Quote from: pullit on March 03, 2011, 12:39:56 PM
FF are in the $200-$250 range depending on the mount system.
Lots of people on here are using them. I have two and not had any trouble with mine, but I had a Speed Dot as well and did not have any trouble with it either.

If they replace the faulty speed dot, would you use the new speed dot or would you sell it and switch to the FF2?

pullit

I would sell it and buy a FF. I like the FF better but that is just me.

paladin

I think the speed beed is an ff2 on a speed bead base.
You may can buy a marlin mount, drill and tap the receiver and disassemble the speed bead to be remounted on your marlin mount.
I think you have a mount issue not a bead issue unless your lock screw were loose.
"have gun-will travel"

allaboutshooting

The new SpeedBead has the FF2 standard. I just put one on my SBE and have been to the range with it the last 2 days. So far so good.

Thanks,
Calrk
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Reloader

Quote from: paladin on March 03, 2011, 05:23:29 PM
I think the speed beed is an ff2 on a speed bead base.
You may can buy a marlin mount, drill and tap the receiver and disassemble the speed bead to be remounted on your marlin mount.
I think you have a mount issue not a bead issue unless your lock screw were loose.

I believe he's talking about the Speed Dot red dot tube sight.  It can get confused easily with the Speed Bead.

Quotehow reliable are the fast fires? and how much are they...

I've had good luck out of two and now have another I need to put on something.  I actually prefer a scope, but the weight of a scope compared to less than 2oz for the FF is alittle much.  They run about 200+ depending where you shop.

You may get Burris to swap, it wouldn't hurt to ask.  I assume you've already got a weaver rail, so the FF with pic base would mount right up. 

The only thing I can say negative about the FF is that it's a PITA to sight in.  It moves way too much with just a little adjustment and doesn't move perfectly horizontal or vertical IME.  The best thing is to zero at about 20 with cheap stuff and check at 40 with the good stuff. Another good way is to get it on at 20 with cheap stuff and fire one good shell at 20. After seeing the difference in POI from the cheap shells, adjust so that the cheap shell impact is opposite the difference of the good shells(IE: cheap shell dead on, but good shell 4" low 2" right, move until the cheap shell hits 4" high and 2" left).

Good Luck

Reloader

pullit

have to agree, they are a pain to sight in.

jim570

Glad to read this post.  I sighted in two FF's in the last month.  One on my son's 935 and the other on a new 835 I just bought.  It took a bit more fooling around than I thought it would.  I was wondering if it was me.