OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flextone Thunder Chicken Decoy

Started by Uncle Nicky, December 07, 2012, 10:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Nicky

I'm thinking of buying a lightweight, portable gobbler decoy (Don't want anything big & bulky like B-Mobile or Pretty Boy). Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Flextone Thunder Chicken Decoy?

Thanks! Nick

Swenny

I got one this year too.  Curious to see how well it works.

Greg Massey

I have read were a lot of people like this decoy for no more than it cost if you want one get it and try it out. Keep us updated on how it works for you.

Gobble!

Montana Papa Strut if you can find one. For $30 I decided I would try it and I think it will do all I need it to do.

taylorjones20

I have one.  I put a real fan on it.  It works great!  I actually never hunt without it...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

wvmntnhick

Heck,how much is the funky chicken? I've got a Primos b-mobile at home collecting dust. Maybe I should get him out and sell it. Had the thing for about 5 years now I think. It's seen service 2 times so far. Mostly just set up the A2 hens and occasionally either a foam jake or a Cherokee sports inflatable jake if I use one at all.

Edit: my mistake. Thought it was about the funky chicken instead of the thunder chicken. Very sorry.

AC HAMMER

I've killed a couple birds using the Thunder Chicken. Thumbs up from me. Very mobile and can be set up quickly while on the fly.

Bill Cooksey

Just look online for a fake turkey head for taxidermy. Flatten the back of it and glue it to the front of a fan. Now, attach the head and fan to a decoy stake (or an old arrow shaft to save even more), and you'll have a gobbler decoy that will work as well as any on the market, and it'll be lighter. Give it some thought, and you can find ways to break it down to be even more portable.

Greg Massey

Bill, with all this new stuff out and on the market we just buy it now. No needed to make anything anymore..

Bill Cooksey

I'm hip, but with the number of folks making calls and beard and spur displays around here, I figured a DIY might be appreciated. 

TRG3

While I've taken more gobblers with my Pretty Boy, it's bulkiness keeps me from carrying it more than 200-300 hundred yards unless I'm on a road or similar pathway. Interestingly, the Funky Chicken seems to irritate gobblers just as much as the Pretty Boy and it certainly doesn't intimidate any gobblers that have seen it to date. I combine the Funky Chicken with a hen in the breeding position, some yelps, and in a few minutes add the Primos gobble tube. The toms that come to inspect that combo are often convinced that they need to proceed to challenge it, much to their dismay. I'll soon be hunting a place that requires a 30 minute walk just to get to where the turkeys roost, so this is the combo that I'll be packing in to that spot. In fact, I'm getting my old back pack out of the attic tomorrow to see if I can carry the two decoys along with a comfortable seat and other necessary "stuff". I plan to stay until the 1:00 p.m. Illinois daily closing, if necessary. One of my favorite ways to hunt turkeys is late in the morning when gobblers sound off from their strutting zone,  I sneak within a couple of hundred yards, and then answer with some hen yelps which generally gets him fired up as he tries to convince the "hen" to come on in to him. After a few minutes of this, I add my Primos gobble tube, giving the impression that the hen's yelps have attracted another gobbler which is also a stranger not in the peck order. Generally, no self-respecting tom will allow this to go much further without checking out the situation. Plan your work...work your plan. I love it when a plan comes together!

Snood Life

I killed a turkey last year using it and a breeder decoy.

MerriamMac

... I just love the concept of this decoy. Hilarious!!! I'd buy it just for the laugh and comedic effect when hunting with friends... this decoy has smiling right now.  :happy0064:

NYlogbeards

I just bought the Thunder Chicken and really like it, the detail is nice and the decoy is great for run n gun situations cause it is light weight and portable, but no one should attempt to use the decoy like it is advertised by Flextone, you have to have a death wish if you want to crawl behind this decoy... Its pretty funny people are replying to this post when it was posted by the OP in 2012.