turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi easterns?

Started by buckshot, March 03, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot

Hi all. I'm going to the SW corner of Miss. in a few weeks for a week of turkey chasin'/killin' and have a question for ya'll. I have done almost all of my turkey hunting in and around N. Florida and S. Georgia and almost every bird I've taken over the last 30+ years is, by all indicators, an Osceola. Though they are all classified as easterns I don't have a true Eastern looking bird for an angel mount, with wide white bars on the wing primarys. Can I exspect to see this eastern looking bird where I'm going to hunt? Thanks for any input. Keith.

snoodslapper

Easterns is what you will kill in MS.  Wing primary color variations can be different depending on terrain and other things. 

What part of SW Miss are you going to?

buckshot

All I know is we are driving to Baton Rouge and turning
north. Just across the Miss. line about 15 minutes and we're there. ???

snoodslapper

Sounds like you'll be south of Natchez around the Woodville area.  Good Luck with the famous Mississippi swamp chicken.

deadbuck

You better bring your A game, as our turks are well trained in the art of survival. I am in North Central Ms. and all our turkeys have a dark coloration.

dodger

the A-game sometimes isn't good enough... wish you well but many go home empty handed... those of us who hunt hard after the wannabes go home kill birds that are harder to kill cause somebody done educated them... and you'll find what you seek if you kill a eastern in the area you hunt.. you on public or private

FullChoke

Yep, true Easterns are what we have here. As far as finding a bird with specific wing barring, I can't help you there.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

buckshot

We'll be hunting with a federal judge on his property as well as some other land he has access too. We have been guiding for this fella and some other guys that will go unnamed, all very good guys and we have had a lot of fun helping them towards getting their grandslam. So far they have the Osceolas, Rio's, and easterns (N.Fla easterns). Later this spring will be the Merriams leg of the journey. This Miss.  hunt does not include the whole group, just me and one other guy going to hunt this property with the owner. Looking forward to it. I understand it is pretty hilly terrain. May have to take a lot of breaks getting my fat but up any hills, but I can always roll downhill.  To clarify, the birds we have around home look so much like an Osceola a biologist would not be able to tell the difference. Very thin, broken, irregular barring in the wing primarys, dark birds, long legs. When I see a show on TV of a bird killed in Iowa or New York, they have big wide 1/2" white bars on the wings,. I think "now that's what an eastern looks like" and thats what I hope to TRY and take home.

TANK

If you are going on private property for a week, yopu should bring home what your looking for. Good Luck! Watch out for the rattle snakes in that part of the world also!

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

northms

There are plenty of birds down that way for sure.  Good luck and enjoy MS.

turkey slayer

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobblerdn1

Quote from: buckshot on March 03, 2011, 10:41:59 AM
We'll be hunting with a federal judge on his property as well as some other land he has access too.

Go to the Homochitto if you want to hunt a tough turkey! If you can kill one there you can kill one about anywhere you want to go.

Good luck to ya!

OLE RASPY