OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 930

Started by allaboutshooting, December 05, 2012, 11:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

The Mossberg 930 is a shotgun that is not as widely known or discussed as some others but it's truly a fine gun. I've had mine since early 2011 and have put hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it. I've shot everything from 2.75" clays loads to 3" turkey loads and as of this date, have never had a malfunction or failure to feed of any kind.

I did thoroughly clean it initially, deep cleaned the bore, etc. but really have performed very little other maintenance to it otherwise.

I've spoke with Jerry Miculek and Patrick Flanigan since they both started shooting different models of the 930 and they've both had the same experience that I've had about reliability. Jerry uses his is competition, having switched from a Benelli and Patrick uses his in exhibition shooting after switching from Winchester.

There is a common thread that I've seen that emerges from shooters of this gun. The first is the reliability of the gun and the second is the speed of the gun. You can put out shells as quickly (more quickly for most of us) as you can pull the trigger. I never attached much importance to being able to fire a shotgun very quickly but it does demonstrate that it just doesn't jam easily, if at all.

I've also been very pleased with the workmanship that I've seen in this gun. The bore is slick and shiny, the fit is good everywhere and the trigger is very good for any production gun.

It also comes with a shim kit that allows adjustment of drop which comes in very handy in making fit adjustments.

I chose the subdued finish and black synthetic stock model with a 28" barrel (waterfowl model) but there are 15+ different models available including some specialized models that include modifications made by competition and exhibition shooters.

It's just a very good gun, reasonably priced and one to consider if you're in the market for a self-loader.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

njdevilsb

I am thinking about getting a semi auto for this coming spring.  I like my 535 and have been looking at the 935.  Thanks for this review.  It might make my decision a little easier.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: njdevilsb on December 18, 2012, 09:20:35 AM
I am thinking about getting a semi auto for this coming spring.  I like my 535 and have been looking at the 935.  Thanks for this review.  It might make my decision a little easier.

You're welcome. It's a great gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

outdoors

:fud:   I have the 930 , 26" and I'm in the process of setting mine up. And this gun can shure shot and cycles real nice . I'm going too post the pattern with a turkey choke when  I get done . So for I really like this gun @ the price you can't beat it .............                                                                                  The Down side is:::: The 26" doesn't come with shims and or rings for a sling ........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

GUITARMAN

I SURE HOPE THEY HAVE IMPROVED IN THE MECHANICS OF THE 835 OR ANY, HOWEVER WHEN IT WOULD SHOOT IT WOULD KILL A TURKEY, SO UNLESS THEY ARE BETTER I WILL PASS ON MOSSBERG..

DirtNap647

i actually prefer mossbergs over the others