Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DO I NEED TO BUY A BETTER TURKEY GUN ?????

Started by GOBBLER CRAZY, December 03, 2012, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOBBLER CRAZY

I HAVE A 12 GAUGE MOSSBERG 500 A OLD SCHOOL WITH A KICKS CHOKE IT PATTERNS OUT TO 35 YEARD MAX DO I NEED TO MOVE ON TO A BETTER TURKEY GUN AND IF SO WHAT GUN THANKS :gobble: ???

vaturkey

Benelli Super Black Eagle 2

Remington 870

Remington 1187
Vaturkey

GOBBLER CRAZY

YEA I NEED SOMETHING TO GET OUT THERE AND TOUCH THEM BIRDS I THINKING ABOUT THE 870 WHAT CHOKE AND SHELLS IS THE BEST AND HOW FAR WILL IT REACH

Skeeterbait

The 870 isn't going to reach any further than your M500.  Choke and shells make the shotgun.  Try an Indian Creek choke and heavier than lead #6 shells and you will get more range out of your M500.

GOBBLER CRAZY

SO HOW FAR SHOULD MY GUN SHOOT TO IF I BUY THAT CHOKE AND NUMBER 6 SHELLS CAUSE I HAVE THAT KICKS CHOKE AND SHOOT NUMBER 4 NITTO SHELLS TRYED ALOT OF SHELLS I WONT TO BE ABLE TO KILL A BIRD OUT TO ABOUT 50 YARS IF HE HANGS UP THANKS

chatterbox

Quote from: GOBBLER CRAZY on December 03, 2012, 09:58:21 PM
SO HOW FAR SHOULD MY GUN SHOOT TO IF I BUY THAT CHOKE AND NUMBER 6 SHELLS CAUSE I HAVE THAT KICKS CHOKE AND SHOOT NUMBER 4 NITTO SHELLS TRYED ALOT OF SHELLS I WONT TO BE ABLE TO KILL A BIRD OUT TO ABOUT 50 YARS IF HE HANGS UP THANKS
Just an FYI, we limit discussions on ranges of 40 yards or less when taking shots at turkeys on the OG forum. However, there are many chokes and loads that can get you good killing patterns out to 40 yards. Like skeeter said, you need to shoot heavier than lead shells. There are hevi-13 #6, and Winchester XRHD loads that will get the job done. I would start with the Win XRHD 3" shells with #6 shot, and see what the pattern board tells you. Once you have between 80-100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with good coverage out to 20", you are good to go. Good luck! 

davisd9

Nothing wrong with the gun you are using.  Many of birds have fell to the 500 in the 40 yard kill zone.  Find the right shell and choke.  A Pure Gold should do pretty dag um good with Hevi-Shot 3" 2 oz 6s. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

Ok that is a good gun. Can you get better yes do you need it no. LOL  Seen them go over 200 with the HV13 3-2-6. Now you can get you some Winchester Ex-rang or HV13 shells and may be happy with your set up.   

Now it you are not you can get Sumtoy (660) or IC (665).   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gold Spur

I totally agree with the above posts. You have a good gun, get some heavier than lead 6's or 7's and the right choke. Your patterns will improve drastically!
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

stinkpickle

allaboutshooting

Quote from: GOBBLER CRAZY on December 03, 2012, 09:10:19 PM
I HAVE A 12 GAUGE MOSSBERG 500 A OLD SCHOOL WITH A KICKS CHOKE IT PATTERNS OUT TO 35 YEARD MAX DO I NEED TO MOVE ON TO A BETTER TURKEY GUN AND IF SO WHAT GUN THANKS :gobble: ???

That Mossberg 500 can pattern as well as any gun on the market today, all things being equal (barrel length mainly). The Kick's choke is also a fine product, very well made of 17-4PH stainless steel and a good design.

I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of both the barrel and the choke tube. That can help more than you might imagine.That process has helped many people get better results.

I'd also recommend that you purchase some 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shotshells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. Those shells will, with that size shot, make all the difference in your patterns and will allow you to cleanly kill a turkey at 40 yards.

The combination of "deep cleaning" and new shells should allow you to continue to use your 500 for many years to come and save you the price of a new shotgun as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

GOBBLER CRAZY

thanks so much everybody but i have a ? on deep cleaning the gun what do i need to do to do the deep cleaning i just put the rod and spary on wipes in gun  :wave:

Skeeterbait

I shot Kick's chokes for several years, they are a good choke and throw a very even pattern.  But they are not that good at throwing really tight patterns.  The Indian Creek choke will out distance the Kick's choke hands down regardless of what constriction it is.  The design just throws a tighter pattern. 

Old school of thought was you had to shoot #4 to have enough energy at 40 yards to kill a turkey.  That simply isn't true with heavier than lead (HTL) shells.  A #6 HTL pellet has more energy remaining at 40 yards than a #4 lead.  So all you are doing by shooting #4 is reducing the number of pellets in the load.  That means less hits.

I have a model 500 with an Indian Creek choke and shoot 3" Winchester Extended Range #6 in it.  It will easily kill gobblers at 40 yards.  But be very careful in this pursuit of a very tight shooting gun.  Remember you are tighting the pattern to not much more than a grapefruit size inside of 20 yards.  Where your Kick's choke makes for easy shooting at 20 yards, it is easy to miss at that distance with a much tighter pattern.

paladin

the allaboutshooting -clarke method is on the page. Do a search.
The sticky on barrel polishing is at the top of the turkey gun page.
It is more intense and detailed and some say will improve your gun as much or more than a deep cleaning. I say the deep cleaning is a minimum and then keep it clean. It is not a one time deal.
I suggest polish it right once and then keep it clean.
"have gun-will travel"

GOBBLER CRAZY

thanks so if i go with the indain creek choke and have a bird come in 15-25 yards it be hard shot and at 30-45 yards be good hit i am confused sorry just a big turkey hunter killed lots of birds but haveing a problem maybe cause i been useing nittos shells and that kicks choke never done a deep cleaning  :TrainWreck1: