turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip- best aftermarket choke/shell combo

Started by Tracker, November 30, 2012, 05:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracker

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and wanted to see if I can get your insight into the best aftermarket choke and shell combo for the new Benelli SuperNova Steady Grip I picked up.  In addition, I am thinking of putting a Eotech 512 holographic sight on it, any feedback in that arena would be great as well. Thank you!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tracker on November 30, 2012, 05:05:35 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and wanted to see if I can get your insight into the best aftermarket choke and shell combo for the new Benelli SuperNova Steady Grip I picked up.  In addition, I am thinking of putting a Eotech 512 holographic sight on it, any feedback in that arena would be great as well. Thank you!

First of all, welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and look forward to getting to know you better. I am a Nova fan and have owned one of the original models since shortly after they were introduced. They are good guns, very durable and can throw some excellent patterns.

I've shot quite a variety of shells through my Nova and the other Benelli guns that I own. All have the same inside diameter, so what works in one can work in another. I have 24", 26" and 28" barrels for that gun. This is one gun that I own that the 26" barrel out patterns the longer barrels.

The shell that has been the most consistent performer is the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of #6 shot. The same shell with #7 shot is also very consistent and an excellent performer if that size shot is legal where you hunt.

Like almost everyone, I have chokes that do best in my Nova and other Benelli shotguns. There are 2 that have just been outstanding. The first is the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke and the second is the SSX Turkey Choke.

These 2 chokes have very different internal geometry but they work exceptionally well, especially with the Hevi-13 shells.

Lastly, I know your Nova has a 3.5" chamber and those shells are certainly an option and you may choose to shoot those shells, in which case those 2 chokes still work exceptionally well. I have just found that I get much more consistent patterns with the 3" shells and the recoil, especially in light guns, is much less and allows you to get back on target, if necessary or desired.

Enjoy your gun. It's a fine one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tracker

Thank you Clark, I appreciate your feedback and will start with that recommendation.

gobblingghost

I don't have a Nova but my SBE shoots great with Hevi 13 3.5" #7 2.25 oz with a Sumtoy choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tracker on November 30, 2012, 08:56:47 PM
Thank you Clark, I appreciate your feedback and will start with that recommendation.

You're welcome. I realized after I'd posted a reply that I also should have recommended that you "deep clean" the bore before anything else. It's the one single thing that you can do to help the performance of any shell/choke combination in any gun, even a brand new one. Most guns come with some oil/grease inside the bore and a thorough cleaning before taking it to the range will keep that from cooking-in and making it harder to remove. Even chrome-lined bores like the one on your Nova benefit. The Benelli barrels look so good that you may not be able to tell that there's any gunk in them.

Again, enjoy your gun.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

We put 650 to 660 in them.  It has alot to do with the shell and shot size with that gun.  Now you can run a SumToy, Kick's(small chokes), and IC
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bigdale

I used to shoot the exact same setup and I got great results with a .660 Rhino or Hevishot tube with 3.5" Hevishot #6 or #7's.