OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deer hunting - Your thoughts on my setup...

Started by lightsoutcalls, November 02, 2012, 09:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

In Arkansas it is legal to bait deer on private land.  I have had access to 40 acres of land for 3 years.  We have seen doe there in the past, and I killed a button buck last year (that I thought was a doe from the angle I had).
This year I put a trail camera out with a bucket of corn scattered in front of it. WOW! I have been  baiting the same spot for about a month and have been getting anywhere from 400-1300 pictures a week!  The camera is set to take a picture every minute when triggered, so if they stay for 20 minutes at a time, I'm getting 20 pictures of some of the same deer.  My best count is 13 different deer, 7 bucks, 3 mature doe and 3 fawns.

Last saturday I took one of the mature doe.  There was actually a bit of blood on some of the corn where she spun after being hit.  A fawn next to her ran the opposite direction and ended up walking back in front of me at about 15 yards, then up the hill towards where they bed.

Here's my questions:
Do you think the deer will eat the corn with blood on it? (I know raccoons will probably not hesitate.)
If I'm blessed to get a deer again next Saturday on modern gun opener, do you think the deer would return within a couple of days to the same spot to feed? (It will be 2 weeks since I killed the doe until I hunt it on the opener.)

My dad will be out of town for the opener, so we will probably go back during the week to hunt it.  I'm just curious if I hunt it on the Saturday and kill a deer, if the chances will be good they will be back within a couple of days.  I'm going in the AM to put out more corn and check my camera.  I guess I'll be able to get some insight as to what is on the camera tomorrow.  Looking forward to deer chili this weekend! :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Blood won't bother them. I've seen em walk up to a dead deer and take a sniff and continue on feeding. Gut piles don't seem to bother then either. Its all part of their environment . Life and death.

Eric Gregg

Here is something to consider when you have a blood trail.......where there is blood there will be predators. Coyotes and Bob's will be out looking for a meal.

flintlock

I don't bait em to hunt, but my buddy does.  He mixes a 2 liter of big red in w/the corn and swears by it.   I wouldn't think the blood w/bother them much, especially after it rains they will be back.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

BowBendr

I've shot deer with a bow and had the arrow go clean thru and stick in the ground. As I was waiting to get down, more deer came thru, stopped to sniff the arrow and licked the blood off the arrow.

I've also killed deer off a corn pile at daylight and killed more deer off the same bait later that day. I don't think it affects them.

lightsoutcalls

I drug the deer about 200 yards to the front corner of the property to dress her.  I hoped leaving the gut pile that far away from the "kill zone" would draw the varmints away from the area.  It's going to be a long week waiting to get another chance to sit under the big burled cherry tree.   
:fud:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!