turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

18 years ago today...

Started by barry, October 30, 2012, 02:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

My last life changed drastically 18 years ago today. A fall while putting up a treestand left me paralyzed from the chest down and confined to a wheelchair with no use of my fingers.
I had to learn a whole new way to hunt and call and shoot turkeys. Good thing about it is I now have way more patience while turkey hunting and have taken many a bird between 9:00-12:00. I won't go into numbers but I'm proud to say that I've taken more spring birds from a chair in the last 17 springs than I took in the 17 springs prior to my accident. I am a lucky man!

Hognutz

You are a lucky man, and more importantly, a blessed man.. To have all of that taken away from you, and have an attitude like that, is astonishing!! You have taken a tragedy and turned it into a non-event..Not many could do that.. You exemplify the word "sportsman", and I am proud to able to call you my friend.. God Bless you, Barry.. :cross2:

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

flintlock

A timely reminder about treestand safety!    I also applaud your attitude!!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

redarrow

You can't keep a good man down Barry. :you_rock:

savduck

Barry, we are all lucky your still around and a great friend. I hate that happened, but glad that you are are still able to have a hunting passion with the petal to the metal
Georgia Boy

dirt road ninja

Hope you have another 34 springs to go. Wish I had your drive and determination.

TRKYHTR

You are an Inspiration.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

HARDCORE

I agree with Joe, you're an inspiration to us all.

HC

Old Gobbler

Barry,  keep on doing what your doing- Its inspirational that you have removed any bitterness about the situation and are able to take in the positive outlook on life

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Eric Gregg

Barry, I need to come and be your wingman on a hunt so I can learn something!
Keep it up brother :you_rock:

Flydown

Barry you are an inspiration to all of us hunters and I would love to deer/turkey hunt with you one day soon!

stone road turkey calls

Barry, you are twice the man we are, you are enjoying life have fun.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

tomstopper

Attitude will make or break a man and Barry you have shown us all an example of a perfect attitude. I hope you have many more hunts in this life time. You deserve it. God Bless.

drenalinld

Barry,
I feel fortunate that we have formed an online friendship. I applaude your effort to stay active and I know you have some great friends and family that enable a lot of what you do, but a guarantee they count it a blessing to spend time with you. One day I want to run a tube call half as well as you and I heard through the grapevine you were starting to wear out trumpet as well. I cannot wait to read of more of your hunts!

woodwzrd

Barry, my hat goes off to you. I know a few people that have had to face challenges such as yours. None of them are quite to the extent of your challenges but all dealing with some kind of loss of mobility. I know from interacting with these people and through following your hunts and other activities and your never give up attitude that a lot can be told of a man's character by how they cope in the face of adversity. You my friend are a top notch example for all mankind. I applaud your willingness and drive to make the changes needed to keep doing what you love to do. To many people that suffer disabling injuries such as yours do just that, they suffer. Those that choose to wallow in self pity should all have the privilege to meet and know someone like you.  :icon_thumright: