News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call Help

Started by usmc22, October 24, 2012, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usmc22

Hi Guys,

I'm getting out of duck hunting after a few years of just horrible seasons. It's hard to want to get up at two in the morning to be a boat taxi driver for family who don't help with the up keep of decoys and cleaning the gear so I'm hanging it up. With that said I remember turkey hunting with my Grandfather when I was young and how he'd roost'em at night and keep tabs on'em throughout the season. He's no longer with us and I miss him a lot as he was a great man. I left in the service and after 8 years got stationed back home (Maine). I got a lot of places to hunt and never really did before as that was something I only did with him. I'd like to get into it this coming spring and take my first turkey in memory of him and start a new tradition of looking forward to spring and fall for the turkey, not the ducks. So after the long winded background here is my dilemma...

I've been looking around at calls and am lost. I know a lot about duck calls, but only very basic knowledge of turkey calls. I have the money to spend on quality calls, I just need the direction.

Here is what I'm thinking/leaning towards.

Slate calls - 2-3 (Wendell Rye's "Lights Out" Calls, but confused on if I should get anodized aluminum, slate, crystal etc. and with all the wood/surface materials I'm lost).

Box Calls - 1-2 (Bob Harwell's box calls I've seen good things about and will likely order from him but again the wood options have me lost)

Diaphram Calls - These will be my money maker as I like to bow hunt and can get 2 tags in Maine so after (if) I'm successful I would like to try bow hunting and will need a hands free call for that as well as coaxing into shotgun range. I'm open to custom calls here too, but have read a lot of good stuff on WoodHaven Custom Calls (although I know their more production).

Background on Hunting Grounds:
- In Southern / Midcoast Maine
- Would like to move back to Virginia / South Carolina
- Looking to build a well rounded arsenal so if one's not working I can flow into another

I just want to make sure I don't waste my money on getting a call/combo that sounds the same or isn't a good fit. I know these call makers are nice fella's and would probably exchange or refund my money but I don't feel that's fair to them and I have a responsibility to be able to clearly convey what I'd like in order for them to help me.

I sincerely appreciate everyone who took the time to read this post and any direction / help you post.

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful),

Aaron

usmc22

Also open to all suggestions for custom call makers...

savduck

Aaron, first thanks for your service. Glad to have you on here.

All those calls listed are good calls if they fit your preference. Id suggest taking a look at our call you tube section and watching videos. you can hear many different custom and production calls and then make your own decision based on what you hear.

there are a ton of talented call makers on here.
Georgia Boy

pappy

There is nothing like a custom made call.....you get to talk one on one to the maker, and they'll take in consideration your needs and apply as much as they can to the call. They are very similar to a Marine....tuned and spit polished....made to withstand the elements.....I agree with Del, there are many great makers here on the site, consider your abilities in running specific calls, have you mastered or at least practiced pot calls? Box calls, trumpets calls, scratch boxes...and the list could go on, but feeling comfortable with the call is a must, then consider your hunting practices, location, open or dense growth...humidity is a factor, as some calls just don't like it and are hard to work with in humid situation....All this stuff you can talk to the call maker about....now since you said you had the cash to buy with...DON'T GET IN A HURRY.....buy smart, Tim Bullock makes a sweet set ox box calls....as does Joe Slaton and some others here, Brian Mero makes a great trumpet....Wendell's pots are tops in my book, culpepper makes a sweet box call and looks like eye candy! Check us all out call a few talk and then make up your mind, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

outdoors

Quote from: pappy on October 24, 2012, 09:34:10 PM
There is nothing like a custom made call.....you get to talk one on one to the maker, and they'll take in consideration your needs and apply as much as they can to the call. They are very similar to a Marine....tuned and spit polished....made to withstand the elements.....I agree with Del, there are many great makers here on the site, consider your abilities in running specific calls, have you mastered or at least practiced pot calls? Box calls, trumpets calls, scratch boxes...and the list could go on, but feeling comfortable with the call is a must, then consider your hunting practices, location, open or dense growth...humidity is a factor, as some calls just don't like it and are hard to work with in humid situation....All this stuff you can talk to the call maker about....now since you said you had the cash to buy with...DON'T GET IN A HURRY.....buy smart, Tim Bullock makes a sweet set ox box calls....as does Joe Slaton and some others here, Brian Mero makes a great trumpet....Wendell's pots are tops in my book, culpepper makes a sweet box call and looks like eye candy! Check us all out call a few talk and then make up your mind, pappy
Quote from: savduck on October 24, 2012, 08:46:23 PM
Aaron, first thanks for your service. Glad to have you on here.

All those calls listed are good calls if they fit your preference. Id suggest taking a look at our call you tube section and watching videos. you can hear many different custom and production calls and then make your own decision based on what you hear.

there are a ton of talented call makers on here.
>>  Well    Advised. <<     
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

WillowRidgeCalls

Welcome to the site Aaron, and thank you for your services. As Pappy said it important to determin how you play a call, before you drop any cash on them. It's best if possible to go to a call show and try a few different calls to see how you like them. Then talk with the builder about what the call is made of, sound your looking for, ease of play ext. Weather has a lot to do with it also, a slate is an easy playing surface, but if your hunting in humid or damp weather you could find a better surface to use.  Talk with the builders and get their opinion on what the call should be made of for your hunting areas.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

West Augusta

Aaron, first off thank you and your brothers for your service.
On calls, call any call maker when you have a few hours to talk. :TooFunny:
They ALL love to talk turkey and run calls. Let them run their calls for you and all will. When you hear something that you like, buy it.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.