turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I got me a new scatter gun!

Started by HogBiologist, October 19, 2012, 03:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Guess my birthday came a month early this year. :hb2:  I became the owner of a used, but in good shape, Mossberg 835 ulti-mag yesterday.  It has a 24" bbl and black synthetic stock.  It says it takes 2.75" up to 3.5" shells.  I guess I got me a new turkey toy to play with.  The guy I got it from says it kicks like a mule.  I didnt think so when I tested it, but I have not shot a magnum turkey shell through it yet.  Cant wait to start tinkering with it.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

870BkWht

Congrats on your purchase and happy birthday wishes early.  As for the kicking, just wait until you shoot a 3.5'' shell in it.  I shot my brother in laws shotgun in the same model and as for me and my shoulder, I have decided that if I cant kill em with a 3'', I dont need to be turkey hunting.

chatterbox

Congrats on a great gun! I love mine. Best choice I ever made was getting me one of those shotguns!
Hope she lays down many a longbeard for ya! :funnyturkey:

allaboutshooting

Congratulations! I think you'll find that 835 to be an excellent turkey gun but it does kick. I'd encourage to stick to 3" shells and I recommend the Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot.

At the bench, at least, I'd put a Shooter's Friend recoil pad on it. I use one at the bench and in the field as well.

Lastly, if you've not already done so, I'd "deep clean" the bore. It will help much more than you might imagine. Some of the best patterns I've seen have come from 835s with a deep cleaned bore.

Again, congratulations. You have a great gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

I love my 835 and would not trade for any other turkey specific gun.  You can handle the 3.5" loads pretty easy with the factory recoil pad, but I went ahead and put a Limbsaver on mine and it helped tamed the recoil of the loads.  They are not fairly expensive, $30 to $35, and well worth every penny. 

An Indian Creek or Pure Gold will do great in it.  I have a friend that shoots a 935 with Mag Blends using a Mad Max .695.  Jelly heads seem to do very well also.  Good Luck with the gun and I think you will love it!

Here is my 835:

If you decide to top it off with a scope like I have you may want to consider getting the tactical safety.  Here is a post I made on it:  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,27094.msg288173.html#msg288173
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now you got one of the best shooting turkey guns ever.  Congrats.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteAs for the kicking, just wait until you shoot a 3.5'' shell in it.

A man once posted, that the first time he fired off a 3.5" shell in his 835, he thought the gun had blown up in his face, the recoil was so bad.  I used to have an 835.  It will work on the ol' shoulder a little bit.

WildTigerTrout

Years ago I bought a new Mossberg 835. It had a ported barrel. I shot 3.5" Mags out of it and hunted with it for one season. It was nice to carry as it was fairly lightweight but kicked like a mule. I sold it. I would rather shoot my Browning BPS 3.5" 10 Ga. It is ALOT heavier and not as easy to carry but the recoil is less severe! Good luck and make sure you hang on when you touch her off! ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Any 3.5" heavy turkey load is going to kick like heck.  There just isn't no getting around it unless you want to pack a super heavy gun.  In reality with all things physically the same, the heavier gun will kick less than a lighter one with the same type of action. 

beagler

Never Misses

Old Gobbler

Congrats on the new turkey gun!  835's are a solid killer,  get yourself a good soft recoil pad and you should be fine
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dirt road ninja

I dread shooting mine off a bench. Don't think there is another gun that beats you like an 835. Mines in the shop getting a few things changed. Love it in the woods.

TrackeySauresRex

You will do well with her. I have the 1st generation camo model. She's a shooter. Recoil isn't as bad with the limb saver on her and raised the comb (home made)to protect my cheek. This will help dramatically.

:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

surehuntsalot

congrats on your new turkey gun
the best patterning shotgun made in my opinion
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

VAHUNTER

Congrats!!
the 835 can be made to pattern better than guns that carry 3x the price!!
IMHO the 835 is one of the best.
Good things come to those who wait