turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Coon Hunting Rifle

Started by StruttinGobbler3, September 08, 2012, 12:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Hey guys, looking for opinions. Coon hunting is my main addiction along with turkey hunting. The old Ruger 10/22 I carry to the woods every night is going to be retired this year due to sentimental value. It is 22 years old and was given to me by my hound hunting mentor a few years back when he got too old to follow the hounds. Its been carried countless nights and knocked many a coon off a limb, but I think its time for it to reside in the gunsafe. With that being the case, its time to invest in a new hunting rifle. For quite a while I've had my eye on the lever action Henry .22lr. I'm seriously considering buying one to become the new coon buster. For those of you that own one, what can you tell me about it? Quality, durability, accuracy, etc. Thanks.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

ccleroy

Buddy of mine has one and it is a great rifle, but you just can't beat a workhorse like a 10-22

coyotetrpr

In my opinion if I were going to retire a 10-22 I would replace it with another 10-22. I think they aer the best hunting 22 out there.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

thundrchikin

I recently bought a Henry in 22 Mag. I love it! It shoots great,quality is top notch and from what I've heard there customer service is great,should you ever need it.

redarrow

Bought my SIL one a few years ago and he loves it. Gotta agree with the 10 22 sentiments though. Or maybe a .17HMR.

BOFF

Nothing wrong with buying another rifle, but I feel it's a shame to retire a rifle.

I haven't read or heard of anything negative of the Henry rifles.

Just my honest thoughts.

God Bless,
David B.

StruttinGobbler3

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree a good 10/22 is hard to beat as an everyday throwaround hunting rifle, and has always served me well. My reasons for looking into the henry are simply because its something different. Every coon hunter I know carries a Ruger (which says a lot for their durability) but I just like to be a little different. Keep the comments coming guys.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

redarrow

Then find yourself an old Stevens Crackshot. Always wanted one.

captin_hook

I agree that a 10/22 is a great rifle, but its no good for any of us PA boys for hunting or trapping, semi rifles aren't allowed. You can't go wrong with the Henry.

StruttinGobbler3

For those of you that have one, how well do they shoot? I know they can't hang with a good bolt action, but what kind of groups will they throw at 50 to 100 yards?

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

BOFF

Quote from: redarrow on September 08, 2012, 10:19:27 PM
Then find yourself an old Stevens Crackshot. Always wanted one.

Pretty hard to find now days. At least around here. That was my fist gun I learned to shoot. Picked up one at a gun show a few years back for my daughter to learn how to shoot. There are some current productions, but the quality just isn't there in my opinion.

God Bless,
David B.

jblackburn

I carry a bull barreled Ruger Mark III 22/45 coon hunting and love it.  I used to carry a Marlin model 60 rifle, but I can strap the holstered pistol on my coon light belt and lead dogs without worring about my rifle sticking up on my shoulder.  I can hit coons with the pistol pretty much as good as with a rifle.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

STRYKER

I would have to agree with coyotetrpr on this one, although those henry rifles look pretty sweet.