OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 930

Started by jblackburn, September 07, 2012, 10:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I have a friend with a camo 930 that I am thinking about buying. All of my shotguns are pumps and I do not know much about semi-autos and nothing about the 930. Any thoughts, good or bad would be helpful. Also, what's a ballpark value range on this gun?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jblackburn on September 07, 2012, 10:24:40 PM
I have a friend with a camo 930 that I am thinking about buying. All of my shotguns are pumps and I do not know much about semi-autos and nothing about the 930. Any thoughts, good or bad would be helpful. Also, what's a ballpark value range on this gun?

I've had my 930 for a couple of years now and I could not be more pleased with it. It's a tight, solid gun that throws great patterns. The gas system works very well and needs little attention. The trigger on mine is also quite good with just a little slack and then it's smooth and crisp.

You may also know that Jerry Miculek switched to the 930 last year and uses it in 3-gun competition. I spoke with him about that gun for an article that I wrote about him. He had nothing but good things to say about it. (Jerry previously shot the Benelli M2.)

Patrick Flanigan, the exhibition shooter, also switched to the 930 a couple of years ago. He shoots thousands and thousands of shells each year in front of live audiences. He can't afford to shoot a gun that doesn't work well. He really likes that gun. (Patrick previously shot the Winchester SX3.)

My gun is the black synthetic with a 28" barrel. I have a TRUGLO long eye relief Maxus 3.5-10x50 Hunting Scope on it. I shoot 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot through the SSX turkey choke.

I own a number of more expensive self-loaders but the 930 will equal any of them in performance and reliability.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jblackburn

Thanks, Clark. 

I'll be talking with him about it this week, hopefully I will  have some pictures of a new toy to post!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

I have one more question and I promise I will stop!  :funnyturkey:

Which choke does the 930 use?  I assume it is not the Accu-Mag the 835/936 overbored guns use.  Is it the Accu-Choke like the 500 uses or something else?  Thanks!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

allaboutshooting

It uses the same choke as the Mossberg 500, the Accu-Choke, Win-Choke or Invector, all the same thread pattern, just different names.

That means you have a very wide choice of brands and manufacturers. I've used a number of different ones in my 930.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote"I have one more question and I promise I will stop! 
Which choke does the 930 use?  I assume it is not the Accu-Mag the 835/936 overbored guns use.  Is it the Accu-Choke like the 500 uses or something else?  Thanks!"

I should have added to my last reply, don't ever be concerned or hesitate to ask any question or questions you'd like. I never mind passing along any information that I have on any gun or related matter. That's what got my site started many years ago and I still enjoy doing it. Ask away!

I'm taking my 930 to the range today to pattern it and get ready for the Southern Illinois Classic still target shoot on September 22nd. I plan to shoot it there and want to be sure everything is where it needs to be.

Thanks,
Clark

jblackburn

Thanks, Clark!  I'm supposed to look at it on Friday.  Everytime I look at a "new" gun I feel like a kid at Christmas!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

outdoors

:OGturkeyhead:   Hey Clark . I'm looking at the 24 inch barrel , How do you think it'll pattern . . Thanks . The 28 inch is just a little to big for me to use for all around hunting. Just want some input.
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

allaboutshooting

Quote from: outdoors on September 12, 2012, 01:23:30 PM
   :OGturkeyhead:   Hey Clark . I'm looking at the 24 inch barrel , How do you think it'll pattern . . Thanks . The 28 inch is just a little to big for me to use for all around hunting. Just want some input.

I understand. I have not however shot that gun with a 24" barrel. I have a number of 24" barrels for other guns and do not find them to pattern as well, normally,  as a 26" or longer barrel but the difference can be negligible as far as shooting turkeys.

One thing to consider is the intended use of that gun.

Steel shot waterfowl loads for example, use a different and slower burning powder than turkey loads. It requires a longer barrel to get a full burn and that can also be negatively influenced by ambient temperature.

If for example you're in a goose pit in very cold weather, it may take a longer barrel to get a full burn than if you're in higher temperatures. Since steel shot, due to its lighter weight,  is greatly dependent upon high velocity to get good clean kills, a full burn and maximum velocity can be pretty critical.

I do like a 24" barrel for shooting deer slugs and have found no advantage in longer barrels for those shells.

Thanks,
Clark

outdoors

:OGturkeyhead:  Ive read allot of good things about the 930 . And I`m looking too getting one .I already have a turkey Gun ,I got very interested in this . And I just wanted too find out alittle more  about the shot. I`m thinking along the line -Buck shot if I don't take it Turkey hunting. THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

allaboutshooting

Quote from: outdoors on September 12, 2012, 08:21:50 PM
:OGturkeyhead:  Ive read allot of good things about the 930 . And I`m looking too getting one .I already have a turkey Gun ,I got very interested in this . And I just wanted too find out alittle more  about the shot. I`m thinking along the line -Buck shot if I don't take it Turkey hunting. THANKS

It's a great gun and I can't say enough good about it. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark

jblackburn

Well after all of this, my friend calls today and says he got the model number wrong and it is a Mossberg 9200, not a 930. 

Clark (or anyone else) do you have experience with the 9200? Is $200 a fair price?

www.gooserbatcalls.com

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jblackburn on September 13, 2012, 06:18:35 PM
Well after all of this, my friend calls today and says he got the model number wrong and it is a Mossberg 9200, not a 930. 

Clark (or anyone else) do you have experience with the 9200? Is $200 a fair price?

I have never shot one of those guns and unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has. I've also not seen any for sale in any shops, so I can't be of any real help to you with that gun.

Thanks,
Clark