turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Without Permission on Private Property

Started by YELPA, September 06, 2012, 11:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YELPA

Need some help compiling a list of states that allow hunting on private property without landowner permission, if the property is not posted against hunting without permission.
I know of a handful: North Dakota, New Hampshire and Maine.  Any more?

Eric Gregg

That don't fly here in MS.
IMHO, that is a  :TrainWreck1: waiting to happen.
Can't be safe.

captin_hook

Yeah, I'm with Gregg, don't do it without permission.

Devastator

not here in pa.hunting license does NOT give you permission to trespass on private property without permission from the landowner or power of attorney.

CASH

Not in Bama.  Get shot or go to jail.  Or both
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Deputy 14

Quote from: CASH on September 07, 2012, 12:19:41 AM
Not in Bama.  Get shot or go to jail.  Or both

This.
I think this is about everywhere.

stone road turkey calls

Not here in georgia, must have it to hunt or fish.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Sherrell

Us landowners kind of frown on trespassing in Florida.

The possession of a hunting license does not authorize a person to trespass onto private land. Obtain landowner's permission before entering private land. Trespassing while possessing a gun or bow is a felony punishable by imprisonment up to five years and/or a fine of up to $5,000.

Jay

Quote from: YELPA on September 06, 2012, 11:37:44 PM
Need some help compiling a list of states that allow hunting on private property without landowner permission, if the property is not posted against hunting without permission.
I know of a handful: North Dakota, New Hampshire and Maine.  Any more?

I knew about North Dakota, but not the other 2 states. Wouldn't think there would be others. As far as answers to this question, I don't see that it involves a question on tresspessing without getting permission. I have a friend from N.Dakota who moved to Iowa, and started hunting with us.  ;D We had to tell him, no we couldn't hunt property that wasn't posted. He actually was a bit surprised about that. So, I know that practice is defintely accepted there.

lightsoutcalls

In AR, you have to have written permission on your person to hunt private land, posted or not.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

drenalinld

Posted or not, it's the more responsible thing to do to ask permission. Even in states where it is not legally trespassing, it shows respect to ask permission. JMO.

BigGobbler

Most hunters know where they can hunt and where they can not. It's usually out of state hunters that stray onto private posted land not knowing it. The landowner understands and will usually tell you where his boundrys are and just ask you to stay off his property.what really gets me is the ones that post there land and let no one hunt it at all,but that person hunts on everyone's else's property.

Old Gobbler

In Florida ,that would be called Felony trespassing with a firearm
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

MDbowman

My brother lives in NH and asks permission.  He says when he asks, landowners look at him like he is daffy and say - it isn't posted, you don't have to ask, but thanks anyway. What kills him is road hunting is a very popular way to turkey hunt there, probably because of that law.

Turkey Trot

I've been told in Kansas while pheasant and quail hunting out there that one can hunt land that is not posted.  I have not checked the Kansas code to see what it says, because there we were on leased land, there is a lot of WIHA, and we had permission to be on some other private ground.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter