turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many turkeys have you...

Started by barry, September 01, 2012, 04:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

...seen dead on the road hit by vehicles?

I got to thinking and can only remember 3 that I have seen in my lifetime (51 years) and one of those was in SC

Well in the last 2 months there have been 4, YES FOUR, hit in a one mile stretch about 2 miles down the road from my house!
That is just crazy!

CASH

Just the one hen that flew in front of my truck a few years back.  She got a bumper and  9 tires
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

doublebarrel

I always know when its time to start scouting my areas. Within a 2 week period you will see 5-7 on the highway as I go to and from work. They head from winter to spring breeding areas

gotcha

Quote from: CASH on September 01, 2012, 04:45:37 PM
Just the one hen that flew in front of my truck a few years back.  She got a bumper and  9 tires
Doing some quick math,was there a unicycle involved?

redarrow

My wife and I along with a couple good friends were in northern Michigan just driving around looking for elk. We were near the Canada Creek Ranch area. We came across 3 or 4 burnout marks in the gravel road. We figured it was probably just some young boys acting silly,spinning tires and slinging gravel. Kids stuff we all did. Then we found the carnage. These "Kids" had intentionally slammed into a flock of turkeys. I removed 14 adult turkeys from the road.Heads torn off,wings torn off, blood and feathers everywhere.We drove around looking for the culprits ,but they were gone. Found a local Sheriffs deputy doing radar patrol and reported it. Local outdoor newsletter had a brief report about it,but nobody ever arrested. It still makes me sick when I think about it.

Spellnj3

See plenty roadkills here in NJ all year round... unfortunately :(
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Spellnj3 on September 02, 2012, 08:30:27 PM
See plenty roadkills here in NJ all year round... unfortunately :(

During the spring mating season,when there acting real goofy you start to see em a lot more. I'd guess 3 a season.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Kylongspur88

I seem to see a few each year. Almost got a nice gobbler that was strutting in the middle of the road a few years ago when I came around a curve.

WiLL B

Neill_Prater

Not a whole lot, but enough to where I wouldn't consider seeing one a rarity. I've come close to hitting a couple myself, but managed to avoid doing so.

On another note, I once used a road killed turkey as a scouting technique. I was hunting out-of-state, in an area I had never been to before, and saw a hen dead along the highway the first afternoon there. I figured that was as good a place as any to go hunting the next morning, and actually killed a gobbler.

tomstopper

stone road turkey calls

I can't recall seeing one dead on the road ever. just don't remember.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

dcar_roll

Never seen a single bird thank goodness!
Hunting- Not just a job,but an adventure !

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

lonnie sneed jr.

Alot. I have no idea how many but it is at least 4 or 5 per year, for alot of years. I do travel alot and that makes the odds of seeing anything dead in the road high.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: