OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"JUST AN OBSERVATION"

Started by bbcoach, August 23, 2012, 10:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Don't take this the wrong way, it's only an observation.  I've noticed that we have some VERY TALENTED trumpet call makers on this site.  The Trumpets are BEYOND Beautiful and Top Notch!!  My question is this, those of you that use Brass (and very shiny Brass at that) for the mouthpiece, don't you think that Brass is going to SHINE,  REFLECT and give away your position even in filtered sunlight, if that call is used in the field?  Especially if it is dangling around your neck on a lanyard.  We all know what GREAT EYESIGHT old Three Toes has.

ol bob

Most hunters use a face net and the call is under the net, if he can see it then he is in range.

TRKYHTR

If you are sitting with your knees up and gun resting on your knees in the ready position. The call should not be seen by the oncoming gobbler. Most lanyards let the trumpet hang down in between the pocket and the knees. My has been known to rest on my goiter/belly. But with the gun and the knees in the way the gobbler is in trouble. If that was the case I would have to take off my wedding ring and elk tooth ring and watch so they didn't see anything shiny. I do like the way you think though.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stone road turkey calls

most of those probably never make it to the woods.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

drenalinld

I killed a gobbler this past Spring with a trumpet with a brass mouthpiece. Didn't worry about it. Will kill more. Never worried about something that small. I do avoid direct sunlight. Shiny objects all over the woods. If it did worry someone a little camo tape would solve it.

savduck

Didnt bother any of the 7 I killed this season while using trumpets with shiny brass.

Id be more concerned about wearing white socks or white t shirt under your camo.
Georgia Boy

Houndstooth Game Calls

It's kinda like not wearing gloves I hate them on my hands they dampen the sound of a call and I loose them constantly so I don't wear them nor do I put paint on them. I don't think the brass or ivory they will see if anything they would see ya bring the trumpet to your mouth before the brass! Jmo everyone does it different!

BOB_HARWELL

My Opinion: Turkeys see shiny things in the woods all their life, why would a small shiny object, not moving, alarm them? How did I kill so many turkeys with a shiny Rem. 1100 when I started turkey hunting?

"The 3 most important things to remember when calling a gobbler are, DON'T MOVE, DON'T MOVE, DON'T MOVE." Ben Rogers Lee.

Bob

ctwny1

I have to agree 1000% with Bob...

pappy

I have to say, that movement is the number one problem when you're trying to bagthat Ol' Tom, as far as shiny objects, sure....if the sun is hitiing the object just right and the bird is standing just right and both of these "just rights" are lined up exactly in time to hit the turkeys line of sight. I wear glasses, made from tourtise shell and gold, shiny stuff, still kill birds, if you ask me.....those trumpets with brass mouthpieces are gonna work just as well as those without. Body movement is the number one issue when hunting, keep the call covered in your lap or under your face mask, and you'll bring in that bird...if...you...know...how to use a trumpet.....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206