OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Teaching turkey in schools

Started by kmac, March 02, 2011, 09:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmac

Well pray for me today, Because today I get the honor of speaking in front of about 200 2nd graders on the sounds of the wild turkey and other vocalizations that animals use in nature,[hooting of a barred owl, scream of a red-tailed hawk,etc.] Well have a great day and may God bless

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TRKYHTR

I've taught a few 3rd grade classes about the wild turkey. It was alot of fun. Watch out for the 1 question everybody dreads " Where do baby turkeys come from". Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

shootumindaface

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 02, 2011, 10:29:47 AM
I've taught a few 3rd grade classes about the wild turkey. It was alot of fun. Watch out for the 1 question everybody dreads " Where do baby turkeys come from". Good luck,

TRKYHTR
Eggs

BigGobbler

Yes that is a popular question. They already know the answer, They do it just to see you squirm and see what you will say. I try to be careful and not say kill, but it always comes out. LOL Be surprised how many calls the school gets after the kids go home and tell there parents that they learned about killing turkeys in class. But there is also a lot of calls they get from parents that actually like it and want to know more. Having two boys in grade school that love hunting of any type they always want me to go to school for a project or extra credit and I jump on the chance just to watch the kids fascination with the calls and to make some noise. They love it. Whats more fun than make loud noises and get away with it in school. LOL Not sure who has more fun them or me.

kmac

We had a great day with the kids, they asked a lot of questions. The principal also asked about doing this for the whole elementery school next year. We also discussed bringing the students out to my farm for a day in the outdoors. I already have some ideas from catfishing to a bow and arrow shooting area. any ideas to make this an exciting and enjoyable day for the kids

Basser69

The farm sounds like a great idea. Something like a 4H camp with out the over nighters. What about a list for the kids to "find." you know like hickory nut, acorns, catfish, cow pie or road apple, ect.... With those last two you just thought the school was getting phone calls.

wisconsinteacher

Good for you.  I am doing it tonight for my Conservation Club in the middle school where I teach.  I am also telling them about the learn to hunt program.  We are going to make tube calls out of PVC next week.  The best thing for me will be when I use the shaker gobbler on the PA to announce the youth turkey hunt sign up.

As far as the farm, have them look at the different animals, ID trees, or some kind of game.  Talk to your FFA if you have one and they will have high school kids willing to help if you ask.  (If they get to miss school, they will be there to help)

kmac

The only phone calls the school got was to say thanks, some of the kids got home and talked to their parents for over an hour talking about the woods and what lives there. Wish I could take everyone of them to the woods this spring to let them hear a real morning in the spring woods. Thanks for listening . kmac

dodger

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 02, 2011, 10:44:08 AM

TRKYHTR
Eggs

great answer :z-winnersmiley:

mossy835

My cousin in VA a retired teacher for special children told me the kids would react to animals in class (yes it was allowed) more than anything else. Just seeing them and in most cases being able to touch them made their week. Good luck and keep it lite.

TRKYHTR

TRKYHTR
Eggs

Tom that was my answer. Then,

Next question: Where does the egg come from?
My answer: From the mama hen turkey.
Next question: How does the baby turkey get inside the egg?
My answer: Ask your Mom and Dad.  :icon_thumright:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

neal

I just did my yearly seminars at a couple of schools for 5th and 6th graders, it's sad that up in a rural area like I live in, to see how many kids have no opportunity for someone to take them hunting. But that's the main reason I run the youth hunt to get those kids out.

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Duke0002

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 04, 2011, 10:28:47 AM

TRKYHTR
Eggs

Tom that was my answer. Then,

Next question: Where does the egg come from?
My answer: From the mama hen turkey.
Next question: How does the baby turkey get inside the egg?
My answer: Ask your Mom and Dad.  :icon_thumright:

TRKYHTR

Perfect answer, Joe.  I use that one all the time.  But when it came to my own kids.... I would say, "Go ask mom!"

TURKEYWHACKER

Congrats on a fine job  :icon_thumright: Great gesture on the farm day. Kids love action, so if you have an archery area use balloons...poppin' balloons is fun. Beats a bullseye target everytime. :anim_25: