Main Menu

Ethical or not!

Started by barry, August 12, 2012, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

You're right Mike, he made the shot

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Hognutz on August 12, 2012, 04:00:53 PM
What I don't agree to, is to have somebody else, not capable of the shot, tell the guy that is capable, that the shot he took was unethical, regardless of the distance.
Quote from: barry on August 12, 2012, 05:08:50 PM
Quote from: Hognutz on August 12, 2012, 04:00:53 PM
Threads like this one are arbitrary from the git-go. There is no proper answer to how far a given person can or cannot shoot, responsibly, in any venue.
People target shoot rifles at 1000 yards, everyday, and are deadly accurate. Does this mean that they cannot kill a buck at 500 yards? I can't really say.
Same goes for bowhunting. At what range is the shot deemed "unethical." Is that your decision, or the guy that's doing the shooting?
I agree, wholeheartedly, that a 100 yard bow shot is not the norm. I also agree that it should not be shown on T.V.
What I don't agree to, is to have somebody else, not capable of the shot, tell the guy that is capable, that the shot he took was unethical, regardless of the distance.

Yes he had practiced at that range and was comfortable taking the shot BUT making that shot consistently on the practice range is one thing. What I'm saying is that too many variables are in involved to make that shot consistently in a hunting situation.
I forgot to add that he held his bow at full draw for over 2 minutes before the shot and the deer was quartering away at a sharp angle.

I'm not judging or being argumentative because we don't do that here on O.G  ;D  BUT.... Does anyone here think that someone can shoot a group CONSISTANTLY with there bow the size of there fist at 100 yards? I'm sorry fellas, I'm a realist. It's highly unlikely.

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Hognutz

I know that I couldn't.
This guy made one shot into an area the size of his fist, I guess. Was it luck or was it skill? I don't know, and I don't really care.
I will add long bow shots to my list of forum no-no's. It now includes politics, religion, homosexuality, race, and longer then normal bow shots.  ;D
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Hognutz on August 12, 2012, 05:51:26 PM
I know that I couldn't.
This guy made one shot into an area the size of his fist, I guess. Was it luck or was it skill? I don't know, and I don't really care.
I will add long bow shots to my list of forum no-no's. It now includes politics, religion, homosexuality, race, and longer then normal bow shots.  ;D

Very good, I got a chuckle outta that!  :TooFunny: I think theres only 86 day til the election  :TooFunny:  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

B-Well
My OG Brothers
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Hognutz

Barry.
  Sorry this thread went south on you, because of me. We are looking at the same picture, but from two different perspectives. I meant no harm.
I love you like a brother, and hope that I'm still on the Christmas card list..
                                                                                                                                    Mike

TheTwistedOne

This guy can hit his target at 200 yards.  Can he group at 100yds.  Yes he can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgl-KQt0-AI

Fred Bear shot a javelina on film 70 yards away with a recurve instinctively.

I'm with Hognutz on this one.  Don't use your own abilities to judge the hunting ethics of another.  

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I shoot out to 80 yards.

For elk I'll let that arrow fly 10/10x if the conditions are right.

For deer, my self imposed limit is 60. I consistently shoot 3" 6 arrow groups at that range.

Most people don't have the dedication or commitment to become that proficient so they use their own limitations to determine what is and what is not ethical for others.

Dan Evans of trophy taker shoots a 3" group at 180 yards with a bow.

Ethics are relative to the shooter's ability, confidence and evaluation of the animal's demeanor prior to loosing the arrow.

redleg06

I get the argument about someone being confident due to practice and spectacular groupings etc......at the shooting/ practice range.   

I'd be willing to bet that the OVERWHELMING majority of these practices were in a very controlled environment with plenty of time to think clearly and account for variables....not the least of which is a live WILD ANIMAL sitting at the end of the target range. Regardless of all else, there is no target that I know of that has the ability to think for itself and decide to move at random times.

guesswho

I don't know for sure but I figure at 100 hundred yards with a bow you need to know for sure the animal is 100 yards and not 101. 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

FANMAN

Quote from: Hognutz on August 12, 2012, 05:24:16 PM
All I'm saying, Barry, is that he made the shot. Full draw for two minutes, quartering away, 100 yards. He did something right. One person in a hundred or one in a thousand, he made the shot. Maybe, just maybe, the guy can shoot a bow, and hit what he is shooting at, at 100 yards.
I bet the deer thought that the shot was unethical!!
Naw.. it hit him in the goodies,He just thought about dying..But if he would have taken a step after the shot was released..(they have been known to move on occasion} It would have hit him in the guts..Then he would have thought the shot was unethical.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: redleg06 on August 12, 2012, 08:16:54 PM
I get the argument about someone being confident due to practice and spectacular groupings etc......at the shooting/ practice range.   

I'd be willing to bet that the OVERWHELMING majority of these practices were in a very controlled environment with plenty of time to think clearly and account for variables....not the least of which is a live WILD ANIMAL sitting at the end of the target range. Regardless of all else, there is no target that I know of that has the ability to think for itself and decide to move at random times.

I can't speak for others but anytime I take a long shot or have observed animals harvested at long range, there is/was plenty of time to assess the animal's demeanor and conditions.

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on August 12, 2012, 12:45:02 PM
I personally see two problems with that.  

1. Taking the shot.

2. Showing it on television.  
:agreed: 100%. You know that someone will try this and might end up with the animal being wounded and suffer a painful death. One shot, one kill. that is ethical. If you feel the risk is greater than normal, dont take the shot. At 100 yds the shot will always be risky. He shouldnt even have tried it.

barry

Quote from: Hognutz on August 12, 2012, 07:17:08 PM
Barry.
  Sorry this thread went south on you, because of me. We are looking at the same picture, but from two different perspectives. I meant no harm.
I love you like a brother, and hope that I'm still on the Christmas card list..
                                                                                                                                    Mike

No problems here Mike. I asked for everyones opinion. If we were all in agreement all of the time it would be kinda dull. Oh yeah...I'll put you back on the card list ;D

Hognutz

I appreciate that, Barry..Thanks

Eric Gregg

Have to agree with Guesswho's initial response in regards to taking the shot and showing it on T.V. As O.G. pointed out, this will result in a lot of "Heck I can do that" attempts out in the woods.

Here is something I have personally seen. When I was shooting 3-D archery comp in highschool, I worked the shoot where we posted up a McKenzie 3-D lifesize elk at approximately 50 measured, taped off yards. We put an orange bio-hazard sticker right on the 12 ring (which is dead center heart) and whoever got the closest to the center won a good chunk of cash. You will not believe how many folks, after shooting 25 targets could not judge the distance on that elk and clearly missed the elk, shot it in the leg, neck, butt, etc.......
With a bow, at that 100 yd mark, you better be slinging some speed to have enough energy to do killing damage. This old boy is perfectly happy with an up close and personal experience on a good buck.