turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dang Coons!!!

Started by handcannon, August 11, 2012, 08:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handcannon

Been having some trouble with coons climbing up my feeder and turning the spinner by hand and emptying my feeder. It has a varmint cage built around it but that dont stop them. I put up another piece of wire on the side that they were climbing up on and they just hang onto that and climb around. It's been the same 3 big coons time after time. Now, they have started bringing in the babies. When I get back home, I'm planning on putting carpet tack strips on the legs and the ladder to try and help out. If that dont help, I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy the American Hunter timer and buy the Varmint Zapper that goes onto it to shock their little butts.

Other than trying to trap them (which we are gonna try too) anyone have any other remedies for keeping the coons off of the feeders? 

Kylongspur88

my buddy rigged an electric fence up to his feeder. It was hilarious....

hookedspur

I have a picture some where with 13 coons in it ,from last year.
PESTS  :fud:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

captin_hook

A good friend of mine was having the same trouble . We actually wrapped the legs with chicken wire to about half way down. We connected it to the legs with wire. Then we cut a piece to fit the bottom and attached it to make like a triangle. The coons still reach the spinner if the climbed the sides .So we double wrapped the top part with more chicken wire so they couldn' t fit their arms in. It worked like a charm. The feeder still throws a good ways out. We also load that area with coon traps in trapping season and pound em pretty good. Kill as many of those nest robbers as you can!!!

lightsoutcalls

You think you've got coon problems...

This is the site where I shot the feral hog last week.  I stuffed a 20 lb rock and some dead branches in the hole where corn was remaining.  If they want that last 20 lbs of corn, they're going to have to work for it.  ;D

The pipe feeder was no challenge for them, but it was enough to keep the pigs coming back long enough to take one out of the equation. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

captin_hook

Those are some nice looking coon right there. Put some traps out wendell! There is almost 200$  in fur in that one pic.!

Deputy 14

I thought 4 coming to a feeder was a problem. You guys have herds of them.  :lol:

tomstopper

Same problem here only I don't use feeders and just place the corn on the ground so I cant complain about them stealing it from a feeder, however  I have noticed a reduction in the amount of poults that I have seen this year compaired to last so I am declaring war on all of them. First time attempting to trap them this so I hope it is successful.

handcannon

This is a new hunting lease for me. I've been watching the same 3 full grown coons coming in daily with the cameras and now they are bringing in the little reinforcements. I've been getting a few hens and one or two longbeards passing through. I gotta get rid of the coons before they go to nest next spring. Might have to break out the one eyed beagle and the .22 mag on the banditos.