OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decided to try a super tight choke with some light loads.

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, August 10, 2012, 10:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I picked up a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .650 in RemChoke.  

I know that .655 is the tightest anyone recommends for heavy Lead turkey loads in RemChoke, but I'm a little curious about card shooting with #7.5's, and I also like to squirrel hunt with a setup that can reach out 35-40 yards with cheap shells.

I might not would have gone with Kick's if I had ordered one, but I was in a store today that had the Kick's choke, and once I had it in my hand I just went ahead and bought it.  I had been looking online at a couple of custom builders, as well as Pure Gold, Comp-n-Choke, and Kick's.....all in .650 RemChoke for #7.5's

Anyone have any experience with a Kick's .650?  Am I pretty much limited to 1 Oz., 1.125 Oz., and 1.25 Oz. loads?  I know #7.5's are fine, but what about #6's?

Any and all information appreciated.

I bet a .650 will snipe some crows!!! :you_rock:

R AJ

For squirrel using that tight of a choke I would consider field load #4s to REDUCE the number of shot hitting the squirrel but delivering knock down power at longer distances.

Truglo SSX goes down to 643 in Rem I think.

drenalinld

I bought one and it worked great with winchester 3.5" hv 6's and XRHD 6's with 21" and 26" bbls. 870 SM.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI bought one and it worked great with winchester 3.5" hv 6's and XRHD 6's with 21" and 26" bbls. 870 SM.

Interesting. :z-winnersmiley:

QuoteTruglo SSX goes down to 643 in Rem I think.

I think the internal design of the SSX gives it some stress relief from the extreme amount of constriction.  There is some straight rifling of sorts inside the SSX.

Most other choke makers recommend .640 to .650 for card shooting with light lead loads only.  Although I believe SumToy makes a .650 Turkey choke.  

FWIW, the Kick's card shooting chokes still come in the same Gobblin' Thunder packaging.  I also have a Kick's .665, which doesn't shoot as tight as an Indian Creek .665 in my gun.  A Kick's .655 or .660 is probably better than .665 for Turkeys in RemChoke.

I bet a .650 will snipe some crows!!! :you_rock:

Skeeterbait

I have a Kicks .660 I bought for card shooting in my 835 but I found it does not shoot light field loads as tight as my IC .675 that I use for turkey hunting.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI have a Kicks .660 I bought for card shooting in my 835 but I found it does not shoot light field loads as tight as my IC .675 that I use for turkey hunting.

From what I've read over the years, it appears that most of the guys who are getting good numbers with Turkey loads using Kicks chokes in a Remington, are using .655 or .660, with a few using .665

In my own past experience, owning a Kicks .665, as well as an Indian Creek .665 and .675; an Indian Creek choke will throw a tighter pattern in the same constriction.  The Kicks .665 is huntable with HTL, but not too impressive with Lead.  I thought about getting a Kicks .655 to try with Lead Turkey loads, but I really wanted to try out a .650 with squirrel/crow/target loads, so the .650 won out.

I want 3 chokes; one to play with, one that is good out to 40, and one that is lights out at 40.  I'm just trying to nail those 3 down.

Kylongspur88

I have an old Hastings .640 and shot some of the 1.75 oz winn hv shells through it and it shot a pattern about the size of a tennis ball close, but opened up to a nice pattern at 40 yards. I've always shot 1oz high brass loads of 5 or 6 at sqaks and bunnies. Might see how they do through that choke.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I tried some light loads through the Kick's .650 today.

Win and Rem 1 oz 6's
Rem 1 oz 7.5's
Win and Rem 1.125 oz 7.5's
Win 1 oz 8's

All the patterns were pretty dense at 60 Feet, Muzzle to Target.

Patterns were 11 5/8" to 14 1/4" across, measuring the outside flyers.

Those 1 ounce #6's make a neat little pattern.  At close range, you could single out a bird in the middle of a flock and snipe it.  Not very many flyers to contend with.

Now I need to move out to 75 Feet, and 90 Feet and see what I've got.

BandedSpur

As always, I would recommend high quality target loads, especially with a choke that tight. The extra hard shot will hold up better with that super tight constriction, so you will have less fliers. Of course, you can't get them in 6s, but you can get 7.5s in 7/8, 1, or 1 & 1/8 oz versions.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI would recommend high quality target loads

I tried the Remington Nitro Sporting Clays 1.125 ounce 1300fps #7.5, and Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays 1.125 ounce 1300fps #7.5 loads.

They both patterned nicely through this choke at 60 Feet, and have patterned well at 90 Feet through other chokes in the past.

SumToy

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 15, 2012, 08:34:27 AM
QuoteI would recommend high quality target loads

I tried the Remington Nitro Sporting Clays 1.125 ounce 1300fps #7.5, and Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays 1.125 ounce 1300fps #7.5 loads.

They both patterned nicely through this choke at 60 Feet, and have patterned well at 90 Feet through other chokes in the past.

Few things to keep in back of your head.   Them loads will work different from different guns.  Ports,auto loader,big bore, forcing cone, and so on.  Them shells are HOT.  Now bigger choke works best out of the small bore guns and guns that dont let off gas.  AA will blow the pattern bad if you choke it small because it build back pressure.  It will look like a donut pattern.   You run small choke got to get wild on the lay out of the choke and put the brakes on it hard. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteThem shells are HOT.  Now bigger choke works best out of the small bore guns and guns that dont let off gas.  AA will blow the pattern bad if you choke it small because it build back pressure.  It will look like a donut pattern.

I will keep that in mind.  The 1.125oz 1300fps Sporting Clays #7.5 loads by Win and Rem are awesome shells, and I assume that the #8's are too.  I wish they also made them in a #6.

I have a .650, .655, .665, .665 with 5 catchers, .675, .690, and .700 that pattern pretty well in my 870, even with the cheap 1 oz #6, #7.5, & #8 target and game loads I've tried.  I'm not blowing holes, but I'm surrounding the x.  Sometimes I'm on the x.  I "hope" that with #9's the hits would spray the card fairly well.

SumToy

You just playing or you have a shoot to get ready for.  What yards you shoot the nines at.  What nine is it.  I have seen the Fed TG and Estate 11/8 blow holes from 60ft in.  Now that not no big hole but around a dime.  Most the time with the rem guns you want to go small on the choke unless you have one of the older target barrels or one of the VERY few ported ones.

Browning Plus will blow hole with 675 to 678 at 60 with them shells in WARM air. 

Now the Win AA Gray shell I shoot clay with if I cant find the Noble Sports.

Also the AA has a smaller wad and a harder wad then most shells.   

Hope this helps. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteYou just playing or you have a shoot to get ready for

At this point I'm just playing, because I'm not aware of any shoots in Mississippi.  Please advise if you know of any.  This is something that I want to do, but so far I'm just playing in the back yard.  I will probably go below .650 next time I buy a choke, but I'd like to know what any local shoots might allow, that is if any local shoots even exist.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

One observation is that 1.125 ounces of #7.5 looks a lot like 1 ounce of #8 through a .650 on paper at 60 Feet.  If anything, the #7.5 is a little tighter.

I think the turkey hunting world, and the card shooting world share a lot of common ground.  Cardshooting would fit in here bigtime.