turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

iPhone App: GPS Location Marker?

Started by gatrapper, August 09, 2012, 05:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Anyone have an app they can recommend that I can mark exact locations on my iPhone.  Would be helpful to mark all the places I set traps, hang stands, etc.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

alloutdoors

I primarily use two mapping apps for field work related stuff on my iPhone and iPad, both of which are capable of doing what you want.

TopoMaps: $7.99
This app is awesome! You can download and store any USGS 7.5-minute quadrangle  for the US or Canada (all maps are free, all you pay is the $8 for the app, which is incredible when you realize you might pay that much for a single paper map). You can see where you are on the map in real time, drop waypoints, import waypoint files from other devices, and export waypoint files from the app. Another nice feature is that if you are near the edge of a map the app will seamlessly join two or more maps together for viewing as one single map. If you use topo maps, this is the app to have.

GPS Kit (iPhone) and GPS Kit HD (iPad): $9.99 for iPhone, $14.99 for iPad
This is another great app and pretty powerful when it comes to creating waypoints and track files. It will let you cache maps from Google, Bing, and other sources for use when you don't have a network connection and it can import/export a variety of file formats. It has some other nice features like letting you store a photo of a location when you drop a waypoint.

I have both of these apps and use both of them regularly, they compliment one another nicely although either one will do what you are looking for. They both work great on the iPhone, but for anyone with an iPad they are truly amazing on there.

gatrapper

Thanks!!!  Going to have to download those.  :you_rock:
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

sockwell

We use MotionX GPS.  If not for sometimes spotty cell coverage, I'm not sure i'd even use a GPS anymore.  That and the problem of battery life of a phone vs. a GPS.  One of the features I like best is you can send your position to another MotionX user.  I hunt alone pretty often.  It gives my wife and I a little piece of mind for her to know exactly where to look if I'm late coming in.

The software will do most anything my PN60 will do and will give you a choice of several different types of maps, including aerial, topo, and hybrids.

CW

Quote from: sockwell on August 10, 2012, 05:54:51 PM
We use MotionX GPS.  If not for sometimes spotty cell coverage, I'm not sure i'd even use a GPS anymore.  That and the problem of battery life of a phone vs. a GPS.  One of the features I like best is you can send your position to another MotionX user.  I hunt alone pretty often.  It gives my wife and I a little piece of mind for her to know exactly where to look if I'm late coming in.

The software will do most anything my PN60 will do and will give you a choice of several different types of maps, including aerial, topo, and hybrids.

Exactly