turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fresh Sausage in my future :)

Started by lightsoutcalls, August 08, 2012, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Well, all the time, corn, gas and gear paid off last night.  I got set up by 7pm in my ground blind.  I had my Texas Boars Sendero light elevated about 7' high to provide a nice game friendly light to be able to see 40 yards into my shooting lane with enough light to clearly see my crosshairs on my intended target after dark.  I was sweating like a pig (pun intended) to the point my shirt was soaked.  Forutnately the wind was in my favor.  I occaisionally got a light momentary breeze right in the face.  Trail cameras showed the group of 3 pigs coming in at around 9:15 every night there was corn on the ground.  Last night was no different.  The smallest of the 3 pigs came in first and never left the feeder pipe that I planted on Sunday.  She was very focused on dinner.  The big spotted boar came out a few minutes later, but stayed close to the edge of the woods.  I had more than one opportunity to take the behind the ear shot or heart shot.  I wanted to wait and see what happened.  Eventually the big sow appeared behind some brush, but not out in the clear.  I eventually saw her poke her head out in the open, but suspect she may have been leary of the light.  Since they generally stayed for about 2 hours, according to trail camera pics,  I decided to watch.  Someone made the suggestion to try to line up a shot for a double, so I watched for the opportunity.  A few minutes later, the big boar came back out and lined up behind the feeding smaller sow.  I drew a bead to spine the sow, with hopes it would get a heart shot on the boar.  I squeezed off a round from the Marlin 336 in .35 Remington.  BLACK HOG DOWN!  I quickly chambered another round and assessed the situation.  In the past I thought I made a solid head shot on a hog, only to have him stop flopping and take off running.  I had this hog down and didn't want a repeat, so rather than trying to get on the spotted hog taking off for cover, I chose to put another round in the downed hog.
  I jumped out of the blind with my head light on and went to finish the still flopping sow.  There was no ground shrinkage for sure.  As I got to her, she was still squealing and flopping.  The first shot was a solid spine shot.  She was not going to make it back to her feet.  I put a "flying ashtray" through her neck with my Glock 31 in .357 SIG and she got some much needed rest.  With heart pounding I looked for blood that might have been left by the big boar if I got a good pass through from the sow.  She had a golf ball sized hole out the back side, so I know it went through.  I didn't find a single drop of blood beyond where she was hit.  I scanned the trail and surrounding woods for about 20 yards - nothing.
   I loaded up my gear and got a couple of pictures.  I have killed deer lighter than this hog... for what it's worth.  I had a chance to try my new Havalon Piranta knife.  WOW!  Unzipped that belly with ease.  I had to use my CRKT half serrated knife to get through the rib cage, then my machete to get through the pelvis bone.  As I hefter her up into the back of the truck, I thought to myself, "hey, you've lost weight".  ;D 
   I dropped her off this morning at the processor with directions to make "medium" sausage.  I can almost taste it now...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Deputy 14

Nice. Man I can't wait for season to get here. Looking forward to those fresh chops.
Congrats on the nice pig.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Eric Gregg

We got plenty of them here in the MS delta for sure.
Glad you could put one down :fud:

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: guesswho on August 08, 2012, 01:03:20 PM
I like the Marlin.

Thanks! It sure likes the Hornady Leverevolution rounds. 

This is only the second animal I have taken with it since I bought it last summer.  It was made in the 70's, but very well taken care of.  I would say the metal is at least 95% with only very faint normal usage wear.  It carries like a dream.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stinkpickle

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on August 08, 2012, 01:21:41 PM
I like the Marlin.

Thanks! It sure likes the Hornady Leverevolution rounds. 

This is only the second animal I have taken with it since I bought it last summer.  It was made in the 70's, but very well taken care of.  I would say the metal is at least 95% with only very faint normal usage wear.  It carries like a dream.

Perfect gun for the job.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

stone road turkey calls

love that 35, it's one of my favorite guns
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

barry

I like the Marlin.

Me too. Killed my first deer with a Marlin .30-.30

Congrats on the hog!
I was sure you were gonna shoot that big boar so you could make that diaphragm pouch. :)

catdaddy

Great pics and story!!  As others have said==love the Marlin 35. I have one as well albeit it is much more time and use weathered. I have killed many a buck with it. I shoot Remington 200 grain Core-Locs---deadly. 

TrackeySauresRex

WTG! congrats.  :icon_thumright: I gotta do that one time.

Quote from: barry on August 08, 2012, 04:49:34 PM

I like the Marlin.

Me too. Killed my first deer with a Marlin .30-.30
x-2. Great accurate gun!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

dirt road ninja