He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.

This is likely a very familiar scripture passage for many of us.  Yes, I did leave off verses 5-6 to focus on the role of the Shepherd.

Jehovah-Rohi  - The Lord my Shepherd

Sheep are not known to be the brightest of animals.  They lack in judgment, often gettting themselves into predicaments they cannot get out of on their own.  Their desire for another mouthful of green grass could lead to certain death from predators, falls, entanglement in thorns... 
   The shepherd's primary concern is for the well-being of his sheep.  He is responsible not only for their safety, but for their health.  We notice in the first verse that the sheep of a Good Shepherd are provided for.  We see in the second verse that a Good Shepherd brings his sheep to a place of rest.  He also LEADS them to nourishment and refreshing. In verse 3, a Good Shepherd develops the strength or stamina of his sheep, guiding them in the right direction so that His name and reputation will be above question.  Verse 4 brings the assurance that even in the most difficult times, times when the sheep sees no way to make it through to the next day, the Good Shepherd stands His ground against anything that might threaten the sheep.
   In 1999, I had the privelege of going to West Africa on a short term mission trip.  I got to see shepherds that were likely not much different than in the days these verses were written.  Shepherds live with their sheep.  As far as the eye could see, there were no homes, no huts, no tents.  The shepherds were in the fields with their sheep.  We carry more gear into the woods for a day hunt than these guys carry to provide for and protect their sheep.  They had no packs to weigh them down.  They were clothed to protect them from the sun and carried minimal gear and a long stick to guide and protect the sheep.  Although they would smile and acknowledge your presence on the road, their attention was quickly returned to their sheep.  They were constantly aware of the situation around them. 
    Jesus explained before the pharisees, the religious leaders of His day:

John 10:14-15

New International Version (NIV)

14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep.

We have a Good Shepherd who is watching out for our best interests.  Do we sometimes get ourselves into situations where it seems there is no way out?  I know I have.  Hopefully we will learn from those experiences and avoid similar situations in the future.  Jesus gave His own life so that we could live under His protection.  He also continues to provide peace, nourishment, strength and leads us in ways that will honor His name... if we are only willing to follow.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

snoodlum

Thank you for faithfulness. I've wandered from the flock often ,but the Shepherd always comes looking for me. How much misery could I have avoided by heeding the Shepherds voice from my youth ! I never want to be out of His protection again.  Thanks again.