OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new scenario for thought

Started by knightrider, March 02, 2011, 12:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireengine70

I wont shoot a roosted bird, just something I have no interest in doing.

If I had a clean shot at the buck while he was bedded I would take it, if not, I would just wait until he stood up.

alloutdoors

I'll shoot the deer, not the turkey.  The situations may look the same at face value but in my opinion they aren't even close.

If you sneak up that close on a buck you've earned the shot.  With the deer it doesn't matter that it is dark out, their main defense is their sense of smell and their eyes function just fine at night also.  The deer is in no way handicapped by the fact that you made your approach in the dark, in fact the odds are probably more in the deers favor in that scenario than if it were daylight.

A turkey is entirely different.  By approaching in darkness you nullify its greatest defense, its eyesight.  That's why the turkey is in the tree in the first place, because it would be pretty much defenseless on the ground at night.  As long as you are reasonably quiet you can walk right up underneath them in the dark, they are used to hearing animals move around below them at night and they feel secure because they are up in a tree.  On top of that, you may have a gobbler that starts sounding off well before first light making it even easier to pinpoint exactly where he is and walk right up under him.

sugarray

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 02, 2011, 08:44:30 AM
I'll shoot the deer, not the turkey.  The situations may look the same at face value but in my opinion they aren't even close.

If you sneak up that close on a buck you've earned the shot.  With the deer it doesn't matter that it is dark out, their main defense is their sense of smell and their eyes function just fine at night also.  The deer is in no way handicapped by the fact that you made your approach in the dark, in fact the odds are probably more in the deers favor in that scenario than if it were daylight.

A turkey is entirely different.  By approaching in darkness you nullify its greatest defense, its eyesight.  That's why the turkey is in the tree in the first place, because it would be pretty much defenseless on the ground at night.  As long as you are reasonably quiet you can walk right up underneath them in the dark, they are used to hearing animals move around below them at night and they are feel secure because they are up in a tree.  On top of that, you may have a gobbler that starts sounding off well before first light making it even easier to pinpoint exactly where he is and walk right up under him.

Thank you for your good explanation of turkey biology.  It will really helps to show how they are entirely different.  Like I said in my post I won't do it, but still nice to hear reasoning why or why not, not just a I don't do it.  I didn't realize how much loss of vision a turkey had at night.  I really thought they were much like a deer with their vision, even at night.  So, thanks again.

Missed-Em

Tree shooting in this state is legal after 7AM - that said I still wouldn't do it, but the deer would be venison.

Timber Chicken

I agree that roost shooting is roost shooting no matter what. Deer hunting and Turkey hunting are two different games. Deer hunting is sit and wait. While it involves some skill as long as you are near the food or the girls you stand a good chance he will walk past you. Turkey hunting you have to bring him to you and not everyone can do that.  The deer dies, the turkey flies.

ghillie

I don't hunt deer...never have...just haven't been bitten by that bug....so I can't speak to that

Turkeys....I have slipped in right under them....and I mean right under them....I have never considered a roost shot...just goes against everything I have been taught about hunting these birds....I like fair chase hunts where my woodsmanship and skills take that bird...not just powder puffin him while in the tree...I personally give that beautiful bird more respect than that...as mentioned ...they are in that tree for a reason...predators...plain and simple...just because I am able to slip in sounding like a deer walking in and happen to sit right under him...does not make it fair to take that bird without giving him a chance to play wits with me...as frustrating as it is...I like  and LOVE the hunts where you are getting challenged by that bird...my skills VS his...well that is until I bust his head or put a stick through his chest...

carry on

timbrhuntr

A turkey is entirely different.  By approaching in darkness you nullify its greatest defense, its eyesight.  That's why the turkey is in the tree in the first place, because it would be pretty much defenseless on the ground at night.  As long as you are reasonably quiet you can walk right up underneath them in the dark, they are used to hearing animals move around below them at night and they feel secure because they are up in a tree.  On top of that, you may have a gobbler that starts sounding off well before first light making it even easier to pinpoint exactly where he is and walk right up under him.

I agree and would just add. I have never been able to sneak up on a deer to within bow range of where it is bedded even by dumb luck without bumping it. I have however gotten well within shotgun range of turkeys in their roost trees on many occasions.

shootumindaface

If I were that desperate I still would not shoot the bird out of the tree we have great organizations such as the Salvation Army, Hunters feeding the Hungry and thousands of soup kitchens across the country willing to put a warm meal on your plate...

With that their are numerous other tactics I feel similar about legal or not

stinkpickle

...With the deer it doesn't matter that it is dark out, their main defense is their sense of smell and their eyes function just fine at night also...

This.

bowhunter84

i've never shot a turkey off the roost and i'm not going to start now.  the deer on the other hand gets to ride home in the back of the truck

longspur

how about in a tree not roosting. you call one in close, shoot and miss, the bird not knowing what just happened flies up in a tree still well in range. This happened to me a few years ago when I was pretty new to the sport. I rolled him out but I wouldn't do it agan. didn't make me feel good. as said before its a personal thing. Theres just something about being in a tree. He's on base and you can't tag him out. got his foot outside the rope or something. IDK

redarrow

Gobble!

What if it's now 9am and the bird is still on the roost and gobbles every time you call?

Reloader

I've had it happen a few times.

A few years back I heard a bird before light and headed to him.  As I'm slipping through the woods in the dark thinking I'm still a good ways from him he gobbles right there at me.  I slip to the closest tree and sit down.  As light came he strutted back and forth on the limb, spitn, drumin, and gobbling like crazy.  Some hens started cutting up on the other side of him and I just watched the show.  When he pitched out he was way too far to shoot and the hens of course led him straight away.  I pulled out and came back after lunch. 20mins later he was over my shoulder :D  It doesn't always play out that way.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."