OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new scenario for thought

Started by knightrider, March 02, 2011, 12:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

you hear a bird gobble in the dark, you ease in to what you think is a hundred yards. next time he gobbles he is right above you, legal shooting light begins. do you roll him out[where legal] or does he fly off?

now you sneak into your favorite deer spot get settled in. when legallight begins you see a 130 in buck bedded on the flat in front of you. do you shoot or let him walk away?

to me its the same thing im out there to bring something home and im gonna shoot. :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Basser69

The bird no, I won't shoot one off the roost.

The deer, I roll him when he stands up.

Just a personal thing on the bird

knightrider

i know everyone will say its a personall thing im trying to figure out the mentality they are both in their bedroom, maybe my question should be why is one different than the other. and yes i respect everyones opionins and reasonings on this matter i would just like to here them. thanks

TURKEYWHACKER

Illegal to roost shoot here (wouldn't do it if ya could) and it would be like shootin' a dove off a branch or a sittin' quail, just aint right.
Now that buck is gonna ride home on the hitch haul.  :you_rock:

selinoid44

I'm pretty sure the roost shooting is illegal here.
For the deer, not big enough head gear yet for me. I'd have to pass.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Gamblinman

The deer takes a dirt nap.

If the turkey flies down in range, he does too, otherwise, I hunt him later.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

dfosh

I would not shot one off the roost ,just not hunting for me .I don't deer hunt but i would wait for him to start moving .

hookedspur

Quote from: Gamblinman on March 02, 2011, 07:14:11 AM
The deer takes a dirt nap.

If the turkey flies down in range, he does too, otherwise, I hunt him later.

Gman
Same for me. :agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TnHunter

Not shooting one off the roost. JMO
Life is good today

bird

Roost Shootin' is Roost Shootin' - Legal or Not  :popcorn:

magicman

Quote from: Basser69 on March 02, 2011, 12:24:46 AM
The bird no, I won't shoot one off the roost.

The deer, I roll him when he stands up.

Just a personal thing on the bird
:agreed:

sugarray

I understand the question and it's a good one.

If you are willing to shoot a deer in its bed, why not a turkey too?  Same principal.

Deer do not react to calling like turkeys, they are hunted 2 entirely different ways, and this is what colors most people's opinions, IMHO.  

Don't just say roost shooting is roost shooting or that the deer isn't big enough, explain why you feel this way for turkeys and not deer.  This is a great question and should be an eye opener for many of us.  It is not about what is right or wrong, b/c the question is why one and not the other where legal, it is what are your opinions (that is all) about why you have decided to hunt the way you have.

For me I too would shoot the deer without reservation.  If I am good enough to find a deer in its bed I have done my job.  I have my scent under control, using the wind in my favor, am being quiet and moving slowly.  I have beaten this deer at his game, on his terms.  Now I get to take him and win.

The turkey, it is about calling them in, hearing them gobble, not about sneaking under their tree. 

bird

Quote from: sugarray on March 02, 2011, 08:19:40 AM

If you are willing to shoot a deer in its bed, why not a turkey too?  Same principal.

Deer do not react to calling like turkeys, they are hunted 2 entirely different ways, and this is what colors most people's opinions, IMHO. 

Don't just say roost shooting is roost shooting, explain why you feel this way for turkeys and not deer.  This is a great question and should be an eye opener for many of us.  It is not about what is right or wrong, b/c the question is why one and not the other where legal, it is what are your opinions (that is all) about why you have decided to hunt the way you have.

I don't have to explain diddly as I think what I said is very simple to understand.......

Roost Shootin' is Roost Shootin' ~ Plain & Simple!
  :popcorn:

Old Gobbler

These roost shooting debate threads , although started innocently, are as predictable as the sun rising out of the east each morning - nothing but trouble
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

sugarray

Quote from: bird on March 02, 2011, 08:24:09 AM
Quote from: sugarray on March 02, 2011, 08:19:40 AM

If you are willing to shoot a deer in its bed, why not a turkey too?  Same principal.

Don't just say roost shooting is roost shooting, explain why you feel this way for turkeys and not deer.  This is a great question and should be an eye opener for many of us.  It is not about what is right or wrong, b/c the question is why one and not the other where legal, it is what are your opinions (that is all) about why you have decided to hunt the way you have.

I don't have to explain diddly as I think what I said is very simple to understand.......

Roost Shootin' is Roost Shootin' ~ Plain & Simple!
  :popcorn:

NICE there Mod