OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Hulls do you prefer for your Reloads?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, August 07, 2012, 02:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

So far, I've just loaded the mix of whatever empties I had at the time, but I don't have any 3" empties left to work with presently.

I'm thinking of trying some unfired Federal hulls, but I also see Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls available.  I know I won't use the Fiocchi hulls, because they swell up and freeze the action of my BPS after firing.  They work fine in my 870, however.

Presently I'm experimenting with some 2.75" hulls, since I don't have any 3" hulls left to load.

Rockhound

In my 10 ga. Loads i prefer Remington hulls they are tougher and make some pretty roll crimps.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Well, I can't help you as I've been loading Fiocchi hulls.  I use them in my 11-87 and my Dad's 835 without a problem.

Was going to get Federal's, but they cost more and I am trimming down 3.5" hulls anyways to 3" for roll crimping.  It can be hard to find unskived 3" hulls.

Thegobblergetter

I, too, use Remington hulls for my SP-10.  They are a very durable hull and crimp great.  John

BandedSpur

There was a time when you would have gotten a lot of responses to your query. Oh well.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteThere was a time when you would have gotten a lot of responses to your query. Oh well.

I didn't really have any idea how many folks were gone.  I knew the Reloading Forum was gone, and I knew that at least a few people were gone, but I didn't know whether that meant that 6, or 60 people were no longer with us.  I'd like to think that some of those that frequented the Reloading Forum are still with us.  The only thing that changed regarding the format here, is that no recipes or loading instructions can be posted.  I think it's OK to ask what Hull someone uses.  That's a single component; not a recipe, in and of itself.

BandedSpur

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 09, 2012, 11:09:45 PM
QuoteThere was a time when you would have gotten a lot of responses to your query. Oh well.

I didn't really have any idea how many folks were gone.  I knew the Reloading Forum was gone, and I knew that at least a few people were gone, but I didn't know whether that meant that 6, or 60 people were no longer with us.  I'd like to think that some of those that frequented the Reloading Forum are still with us.  The only thing that changed regarding the format here, is that no recipes or loading instructions can be posted.  I think it's OK to ask what Hull someone uses.  That's a single component; not a recipe, in and of itself.

The answer... a lot. And yeah, I think it's o.k. to ask. There's just no one left to answer.

Grunt-N-Gobble

I can't speak for all of the guys that are gone, but from what I know, they were/are loading brand new hulls.  No once-fired hulls since most loads were loaded near or at max pressure and they didn't reload them once shot either.  Just didn't make sense to take that chance when new hulls aren't very expensive.

Fed hulls have a hotter primer than the Fiocchi hulls and even then, I think Fed has 2 different types of 209's.  I was told Cheddite's were good too.

I don't think you could go wrong getting the Fed hulls.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

allaboutshooting

I normally just throw all my hulls into 5 gallon buckets in my shop when I come back from the range. I'll accumulate them for a season before disposing of them. Many, most are 3" Hevi-13 hulls, either 12 gauge or 20 gauge. I don't reload and have no use for them. If someone has a use/need, just let me know.

I have several hundred at a minimum by the end of each year.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

allaboutshooting,

I sent you a PM about the 3" 12 Gauge Hulls.  Thanks.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 27, 2012, 03:34:09 AM
allaboutshooting,

I sent you a PM about the 3" 12 Gauge Hulls.  Thanks.

I saw it and tried to reply but for whatever reason it won't work. All I really need to know is how many you'd like?

Thanks,
Clark

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If you have 'em, I'll take 100-200, if not, then whatever you can.  Thanks.

PM Sent.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 27, 2012, 07:28:17 PM
If you have 'em, I'll take 100-200, if not, then whatever you can.  Thanks.

PM Sent.

I see your PM but again, for whatever reason, I can't reply. Please email me at clark@allaboutshooting.com

Thanks,
Clark

3" 870 Shell Shucker