turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Had an attempted robbery at my house today

Started by handcannon, August 04, 2012, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handcannon

Got a message from my wife today telling me that some guy tried breaking into our house. My wife took my daughter to work today and left my 15 year old son and his best friend at home. My son's friend took a shower and when he was leaving out of the bathroom he heard something in my daughters room. He opened the door and some guy was climbing in through the window. The guy took off when he seen my son's friend in the doorway. He did not recognize the man but said he could identify him if he ever saw him again. He described him as a white male around 20-25 years old. My wife called the Sheriffs Office and they came out to investigate but really found nothing. They told my wife and kids that since our community is so far out to shoot first and ask questions later.

Crap like this really ticks me off. I got a feeling it is gonna be some kid local to our area. I told my son's friend that I'll give him $100 if he can search around on Facebook and find this jerk. More than likely someone his age will have a Facebook page and maybe we can get him that away.

I gotta break down and get me a security system installed.

stone road turkey calls

be carefull about that shoot and ask later, that same cop that told you that will be aresting you for murder. has to be life threating, did not read about a car must have been a close neighber.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

magicman

The great state of Tennessee has the castle law. If you are in my house, I can shoot. It is understood that if you are in my house uninvited, that I fear for my families life.

handcannon

We live in a really rural community. It is a minimum of 15-20 minutes before a Sheriff's Deputy can get out to our area and with the high gas prices they are limited on how many miles they patrol daily so they dont normally come our way without being called.

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on August 04, 2012, 07:55:55 PM
be carefull about that shoot and ask later, that same cop that told you that will be aresting you for murder. has to be life threating, did not read about a car must have been a close neighber.
My son's friend did not recognize him so I dont think he is a close neighbor. In our little area, everyone knows everybody so I think he is a local but not too close. I've told them all, if he is in the house to do what is necessary. I am offshore on a drilling rig so I cannot be there to protect them. That's why I try to teach them how to take care of themselves and still be responsible about it. Being away from home is one of the big downfalls of my job.

Kylongspur88

That sucks. Now that will always be on your mind. I recommend a dog. A dog that barks and even gets mean if he has too. My fiancés aunt breeds shepards. I love my lab, but he's not the best watch dog. With those shepards if you not family or with family your not coming through the door. Very protective and smart.

Old Gobbler

Sorry to hear that., hope everyone in your family is okay

I wonder how desperate or stupid a person has to be to break in to somrone elses home,  its like russian roulette, eventually lady luck will frown on them and they will end up on the wrong side of a loaded gun
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

handcannon

What was bad is I have 3 dogs that were all outside but they were all probably under my shop staying cool and did not hear or see anything going on in the back of the house. They did not earn their pay today. I told her that we need to start keeping the lab in the house whenever she leaves. He may not attack but he has a pretty big bark when he hears something. I'm still in shock that this sucker tried it in the middle of the day. My wife says she probably wont sleep much tonight now.

Anybody want to recommend some good house alarms or security systems?

Old Gobbler

My mother in law has ADT and is not happy with them,  they take to long to respond to tripped alarms

I have a small local company called "elite security" for about 17 years and they are lighning quick,  i get a call on the home line within 30 seconds every time
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

flintlock

Glad it all worked out Travis.  I hope they catch the scumbag.

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Hognutz

Travis..I hate to hear about things like this. Glad that it ended the way that it did. I was broke into a year ago, and all they took was money. Nothing else. Some little twirp looking for drug money. I guess. They never caught him.
Anyhow, I invested in a home security system, from a small. local guy/friend. They respond to the alarm within 30 seconds. (I have set it off 3 times). It was money well spent. At least I am comfortable when we go on vacation, and such. They are not as much as I thought they would be, and my monthly bill is around $25. This includes fire alarm and home invasion protection. It is comforting to know that if someone trips the wire, the company calls immediately, and if no one answers, or if someone answers and gives the wrong code or no code, the cops are coming. At least you can sleep at night after a being violated like that...Good luck, my friend...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Wingbone

My house was burglarized a couple years ago. Got a security system which calmed the nerves somewhat but you are always on edge after that. You just feel violated. But as stated here by another Tennessean, our state adopted the Castle Doctrine like Florida and many others have. Meaning, if some jackass even attempts to come into my house uninvited, I can lawfully assume he means to do harm to me and my family to which I can lawfully respond by seeing how much lead he can hold before he falls over, or I'm out of lead, whichever comes first.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

R AJ

Quote from: handcannon on August 04, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
What was bad is I have 3 dogs that were all outside but they were all probably under my shop staying cool and did not hear or see anything going on in the back of the house. They did not earn their pay today. I told her that we need to start keeping the lab in the house whenever she leaves. He may not attack but he has a pretty big bark when he hears something. I'm still in shock that this sucker tried it in the middle of the day. My wife says she probably wont sleep much tonight now.

Anybody want to recommend some good house alarms or security systems?

Don't forget about guineas as they will alarm you of any strange event or visitors in the area. Hate this happened.

El Pavo Grande

Wow, I hate to hear that.  It's a blessing everyone is safe.  I bet you won't have any more issues with that guy because it probably scared the crap out of him.  I wish the judicial system would impose stiffer penalties on thieves to deter crime, rather than a slap on the wrist.  I've seen it firsthand in a court cases of stealing at my work.  What amazes me is that people work harder to steal than what they would just earning an honest living.

We live in the country and have had an alarm system with ADT for about 3 years.  I arm it even if we are going to be gone for only 20 minutes.  My wife is bad about forgetting to set the alarm if she leaves after me.  Where we sit our house would be an easy target for thieves, but as of yet we have been lucky with no problems.  Read a story this past week of 3 guys breaking into a house in the middle of the day in a residential area.  16 year old girl home by herself as she hid and called the police.  If for just your peace of mind, I would definitely get an alarm. 

barry

Sorry to hear that, wish you coulda put a load of #6's in his butt

pcgobbler

Quote from: barry on August 05, 2012, 11:22:01 AM
Sorry to hear that, wish you coulda put a load of #6's in his butt
Barry, shoot em in the face like we do turks!  I don't shoot to wound, I shoot to kill!