turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Scenario Game

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 01, 2011, 10:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Due to excessive boredom, I have come up with a new "game" for the board that will be beneficial especially to our new hunters. We list a typical hunting scenario, then other members answer with what they would do in that particular situation. Good way to relieve boredom and we all might learn something from others experiences. I'll start it off with a pretty basic situation:

It is mid-morning. You are walking an old logging road through a hardwood bottom calling every couple hundred yards. You let out a loud cut and a gobbler fires off at you about three hundred yards deep. What do you do? Sit down and set up, or tighten up on him before you set up and call? Have fun with it ya'll.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

unclerick

For me, I might try him to see how hot he is, if he seems pretty warm I'll call a little and start backing up some, maybe 50 or 75 yrds, that is if he's interested, then sit up in a good spot, call just lightly then shut up and watch to see what he does..

Of course though if I'm hot, I'll probaily try to get as close to him as poosible then bump him.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

StruttinGobbler3

I tend to agree, first thing I would do is take his temperature. If he was red hot, I'd probably pop in a mouth call, throw a yelp or two behind me, and get ready to shoot. If he was just throwing a courtesy gobble and continuing on his way, I'd try to determine where he was headed and cut him off. That's where knowing the land you hunt comes into play in a major way.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

knightrider

i will hit him again and have a seat then the game begins :z-guntootsmiley:

Shotgun

I'm slipping up closer and finding a good setup.  Once I feel I'm in position to kill him I'll start calling.

Crutch

Considering the hardwood bottom is flat level ground, I decide not to close the gap to 100 yards.  I stand there for a few seconds and scramble my brain wondering what to do. Then I decide to cut the distance at least 100 yds. I get 100 yds closer and realize there isn't suitable cover. I run back 50 yards and set up. I make a couple yelps and NOTHING. Thats when I remember I can't judge gobbler distance and start thinking I blew it..... Thats when the mosquitos start buzzing, sweat gets in my eyes and my back starts to itch.  PUTT PUTT.

Just kidding. I love to stalk. I would move maybe as much as 100 yds and yelp again.  Then decide what happens next depending on him.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

harvester

I would look for a good setup and then I would take his temperature again just to see if he has closed the distance a little. If not move closer to him and try it again. If he has committed himself, just set down and wait and coax him on in.  :icon_thumright:

redarrow

Quote from: knightrider on March 01, 2011, 10:39:59 PM
i will hit him again and have a seat then the game begins :z-guntootsmiley:
Sounds like a plan to me.

Gamblinman

Mid morning...that gobblers looking for love!! Old logging road usually means I've got some cover to move in closer, so I split the differnce in distance, keeping in mind the lay of the land, and set-up where there's nothing to stop him between us. Set-up and take his temperature..just aggresive enough to keep him interested. Wait him out.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gobbling Buck

For me, if I hear him gobble, I'd better sit down.  That will mean he is closer than 300yds.  In your scenerio though, I'd move closer about 50 yds and set up and let him gobble on his own before doing any more calling.  If he doesn't play in about 15 min, I'll yelp again to.....wait a minute I've giving away all my secrets.  LOL

Muskie03

I'm gonna figure out witch way he is headed, wether it's left right or strait at me. If he's stationary or moving towards me I'm gonna cut the distance(not as much if he's coming at me). If he's moving left or right I'm gonna sprint the road getting ahead of him and moving into the woods about as far as he is from the road.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.