OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1989, 11-87 Special Purpose

Started by CntrlPA, July 17, 2012, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CntrlPA

I found a special purpose 11-87 with a 26" barrel in excellent condition. Supposedly only 50 rounds through it. The gun left the factory in 1989. From what I've read there are very mixed feelings about 11-87's. Does anybody have any experience with the older 11-87's?

captin_hook

I have a older 11-87 premier and it performs flawlessly.

CntrlPA

Thanks for the info. Thats what i was hoping to hear!

dlquinn

I also am familiar with the older 11-87's and would not hesitate to buy one if the price was right.
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

Thegobblergetter

I have one of the first ones made in 1987 and it has performed flawlessly since I purchased it.  My son also has one of the early ones and his has never missed-a-beat either.  Just remember to clean it after about  200-300 rounds thru it, just as with many semi-auto shotguns.  John

captin_hook

I agree with grizzly. Keep er lubed & clean and it should work fine. Also keep a eye on the o ring. You can get a lifetime supply of o rings for about 3$.

Old Gobbler

I have 3 11-87's one is the "SP" model you indicated

Walnut stocks - flat blue finish - never fails to cycle  -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

allaboutshooting

Quote from: CntrlPA on July 17, 2012, 05:57:26 PM
I found a special purpose 11-87 with a 26" barrel in excellent condition. Supposedly only 50 rounds through it. The gun left the factory in 1989. From what I've read there are very mixed feelings about 11-87's. Does anybody have any experience with the older 11-87's?

I have one of those guns that has had thousands of rounds through it. Almost all of those are 3" turkey loads. I have replaced a lot of internal parts over the years, since no gun is made to endure that type of use but it is still going strong. They are great guns and with normal use will last several lifetimes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Eric Gregg

My cousin has an 11-87, and I promise you he has put that thing through the ringer. Still shucks out shells with no problems. Only thing about Rem's that I have run into is extractor issues, but mine is an 870. One drop of Rem Oil where the spring is and keeps the rust out, no problems.

Have fun with it :z-guntootsmiley:

CntrlPA

Thank you guys very much for the info. I was hoping I had a reason to be excited about this gun. I'm trading the guy straight up for a pistol that I haven't used for years. So it seems like a win win for me.

HartClemson99

Quote from: captin_hook on July 17, 2012, 06:57:06 PM
I have a older 11-87 premier and it performs flawlessly.

I own two and I will second this statement.
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Flyrodder

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on July 17, 2012, 08:54:02 PM
... only issue I had was the ejector popped out on a rabbit hunt.... wrote a letter to Remington telling the problem and how few rounds that had been through it.... They sent me the replacement parts free of charge and after installing them, she has not missed a lick since... Depending on the weather/hunting conditions, I break it down to lube/clean it before and after season with a wipe down after every trip out.

I have a 1989 11-87 that  had it's ejector, spring and plunger also jump out to who knows where. I called Remington to order the parts and they also sent them out at no charge. I really like that shotgun.

Flyrodder