OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call finishes???

Started by DeWayne Knight, July 09, 2012, 08:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeWayne Knight

Just wondering what all of you call makers use to finish your pot calls, trumpets, locators, waterfowl calls, etc.

lightsoutcalls

On most of my calls I use 4-5 coats of Deft gloss spray lacquer.  I usually use one to two coats of lacquer sanding sealer prior to the gloss lacquer.  I get a fairly decent gloss without a mirror shine.  You have to watch the humidity, distance from the piece of wood and amount you spray or you will get an orange peel texture. 
A great finish that takes considerably longer to apply and dry is tung oil.  It is more resistant to weather and penetrates the wood better, but seldom can you get a gloss finish from it.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

woodwzrd

I use Tru Oil gun stock finish on my pots and pretty much everything else gets CA

woodwzrd

Quote from: woodwzrd on July 09, 2012, 09:41:17 AM
I use Tru Oil gun stock finish on my pots and pretty much everything else gets CA

After thinking I need to add to this. On my box calls I use either tung oil if I have the time and patients or I use 1 coat of sanding sealer and 2-3 coats of Krylon clear acrylic

Nolehoe

Been experimenting with several:
"shine juice"
HUT
Crystal coat
Turners magic poly
Wipe-on Poly Satin
So far, they give a nice finish.time will tell which are more durable

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

oakridgegobbler

ml.campbell vinyl sanding sealer 2 coats sand in between then 3 top coats of ml campbell water white lacquer  satin  pre cat.  fast dryin durable finsh same product i finsh my custom furniture with.
OAK RIDGE CUSTOM CALLS

West Augusta

On my strikers I use Tung Oil and Polyurethane.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

TN-Hunter

I dip mine in spar let drain and wipe all excess off with a cloth. let dry 30 min And repeat two more times.

TarheelTurk

I also have been using Tru Oil on all my calls, my buddy uses Tung Oil sometimes as well. The guys using Tru oil just wondering how long between coats do y'all wait ?  I do have to mention I have also tried the spray Spar and Poly combo on my first few calls it worked well too.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Cut*N*Run

I wipe on a spar/blo/turpentine mix.